Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wasup guys...havent posted a thread in a while but i got a noobie question for you motorheads. this is not really a problem but when i brake, my headlights dim. its not really a problem, just more of a question... im sure you guys know of this..thanx for any info:D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On my cat, that's just because the massive voltage drop that my electrical system can't handle. When you brake on a Cougar with the headlights on, that means you have six 1157 dual filament bulbs light, along with your headlights, license plate lights, parking lights, etc. On modern cars it's no issue, but on these old ones with old wiring, it's a lot.
This is part of the reason for my post a few days ago about the voltage regulator and alternator questions.

I've also heard tales of how bad Ford electrical systems are in general (I always try to argue them off - the rest of my family is GM...), but I do see some evidence in my cat...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mine does the same thing, so does my friends 69 Mustang...

Greg, I live in Burbank too! I thought I knew where all the Cougars lived around here... guess not huh? :D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just replaced my alternator with a 60 amp and it is much less pronounced but I can still tell it has voltage drop. I'm going to live with it rather than go after market 100+ amp unit.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
swamper, does your cat have a/c etc? I think my alternator is 55A stock... not enough anymore, I'm worried that my Accel coil may not get enough current; combine that with the electric choke on the Holley 4v (always on, right? I need an underdash switch) and I have voltage problems all over... somehow my sequentials still work, though...

cmpcpro- I'm technically in N.Hollywood, but one or two blocks out of Burbank (Lankershim and Riverside roughly, by the Toyota dealership). There's a first gen XR7 on my street, too, makes me miss my baby! My Cougar is still in Hawaii right now, awaiting a boat ride (stupid dock strike/lockout/whatever). Should be here in a month or two though. I'll post pictures soon.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Ah, okay. I know where your at... nice to have a member close by... there are 3 other Cougars within a mile from me, and another about 2 miles away, and another around here somewhere.... don't know where it lives... Then another 72 Cougar hangs around here (See it parked). Another red 68, and a drag Cougar in black primer. And with the green XR7 near your house, and yours, and mine, Burbank has quite a few Cougars.

Oh, and a red convertable 70, and a couple other first generation Cougars drive around here too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the same prob. with my cat. I upgraded my alternator to a 200 amp 4G internal finned alternator. Its the same alt. you would find in a t 95 mustang GT. It bolts right in, all you have to do is cahnge the pully , and a few electrical connections that would not require cutting or splicingof your engine harness. If anyone is intersted in the info, drop me some mail, and i'll post it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts