Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Head light convertions

Hi,

New to the cougar world.. So bare with me. haha
I am looking for information on the Probe/rx7 electronic converstion kit.
How much does the kit cost and where would I get it. ??
How difficult is it to install.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Hi,

New to the cougar world.. So bare with me. haha
I am looking for information on the Probe/rx7 electronic conversion kit.
How much does the kit cost and where would I get it. ??
How difficult is it to install.
You get to buy the motors at your local pick-a-part and then build your own brackets and wiring. There are a few schematics around that explain the swap. Difficulty will depend on your own abilities. I'm in the process of do this swap but I move very slowly this time of year working on the Cougar. I'm not aware of any existing kit.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
How can I generate a little bit more vacuum for my 1968 headlight doors?

I have a 302 engine with a camshaft that's a bit bigger then stock with a slight loopy idle.

Will adding in an additional vacuum line from either the carb or intake manifold help?

The doors and reserve tank are all good. If I cover the holes or hoses, the doors are rock solid. The reservoir tank holds pressure if you either inhale or exhale into it a well.

The check valve is brand new.

Is there some type of valve or whatever that you can use to disable the doors? Where is it and how can I make sure it's set properly?

The original owners manual mentions this but fails to say where it is.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Max engine vacuum is max vacuum .. you can't increase it... i would look at adding a electric vacuum pump .. or do the electric actuator upgrade.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Max engine vacuum is max vacuum .. you can't increase it... i would look at adding a electric vacuum pump .. or do the electric actuator upgrade.
Which is cheaper and easier to install? Honestly I'd like to keep it close to stock. A vacuum pump would probably be tripped by a relay with ignition under the hood and powered off the battery.

I guess the next logical thing to do is to get every vacuum line clamped or zip tied as a last resort so there's no leakage whatever.

I also think the vacuum line to the defroster vent motor under the dash fell off but I can't find where it is. The defroster doesn't work but the rest of the climate control does.

The headlights worked when the defroster used to work.

I could care less if the doors work with the engine off or not as long as they work with it running.

Mr gasket makes a power brake vacuum reservoir for cars with big cams and power boosters.

Would adding that to the system help it in the same way?

It would go intake manifold --> Mr gasket booster in and out--> then to the system as normal.

Has anyone tried this before?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts