Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the vac. motors for the headlight doors on a 68 rebuildable by the do-it-yourselfer? If not, anyone got one? My drivers side one is bad. I think d/s and p/s are the same.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Kirk
you car has 2 vacuum motors? on 69-70s there are just 1 (in the center ) As far as a do it yourselfer i would recommend letting someone rebuild it. Although i have never seen 1 apart, be better to have someone fix it.But its up to you i dont think they sell kits to the do it yourselfer to rebuild em.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
588 Posts
They are rebuildable but it takes some special tools to get the motor apart and back together properly. The simplest solution is to buy a new one (exchange your core to keep the price down) from any of the several Cougar vendors who offer this service.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Kinda weird you guys are discussing this subject today. I ordered a new motor for mine just yesterday from Ken's Cougars. To my knowledge, he is the only Cougar guy who sells these. Cost was $100.

Kirk :D

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
No, They ALL sell them. Johns has the best price I've found. Like $65 or $75 + shipping. I tried for weeks to find kits and no one will sell them to you. Just get them re-done. Its a heck of alot of work to take them out and if you buy used ones they'll leak sooner than later. Look at it this way. The first set lasted 30 years if you spend $200 total and the second set lasts that long and you only have to tear it all apart 1 time its money well spent...
Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts