Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several comments about switching to electric headlight actuators. I was at a salvage yard and saw 6 Ford Probes, all with apparently good headlight assemblies. My issue is that I am not the "sharpest tool in the shed" when it comes to inventing things but the thought of electric rather than vacuum seems to make all kinds of sense. That being said, I have questions:
1. Does any year Probe actuators work?
2. Is one year better than another?
3. Are they hard to remove at the salvage yard?
4. Is there a "step-by-step" instruction anywhere that I can get?
5. Anyone have pictures to help.
At 60 I seem to be less curious than when I was 30 but I can still appreciatewhat seems to be a very nice improvement to my Cougar and I have seen that there is a vast resource of knowledge here. Any help would be much appreciated. Jim

·
Contributing Member
5,867 Posts
1. Does any year Probe actuators work?

yes and related mazda models, includia miata
2. Is one year better than another?
haven't heard of any issues
3. Are they hard to remove at the salvage yard?
nope - 10mm and 12mm wrenches and sockets
4. Is there a "step-by-step" instruction anywhere that I can get?

http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/
enter site
i understand / agree
tech how to
restomods and upgrades
electric headlight covers for your model Cougar
5. Anyone have pictures to help.

included in tccn
At 60 I seem to be less curious than when I was 30

Man 60 you are really old - but I figure you can do it and set an example for us younger owners

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Here you go, Jim......very good write up here:

http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/tccn2/tech/restomod/restom09/restom09.html

Planning on this conversion myself! If you don't want to mess with removing the relays, Rocketman Classic Cougar Innovations has a headlight relay kit available, with Probe motor provisions, here:
It's three down, the HRKP kit...says still in development, so you will have to contact TheRktmn(aka, BOB, aka THE MAN):
http://rccinnovations.com/Relays.php

Hope that helps, and good luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
At 60 I seem to be less curious than when I was 30
Man 60 you are really old - but I figure you can do it and set an example for us younger owners
That's pretty funny!

As soon as I finish my torque boxes and floor I'll be doing that as well. I already have all the parts though. I randomly picked a ford probe at the pick-n-pull and got a good set of motors.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I have the motor and a box full of relays somewhere. Just need to fab up the mounting bracket and linkage and wire the thing up. When I get some time.....

·
Registered
549 Posts
i just did mine about a week ago and it did put a smile on my face to watch it work. i did make the stroke arm adjustable and the connecting rod adjustable so no adjustment was needed to mount the motor. i think everyones covers will be a little different and thats why i did what i did.

i found it very hard to get at the motors at the junkyard but then again i didnt know if i needed the brackets or arms or what. it is very easy if you find a probe with the front wrap around bumper already off cause they sit right out in front then.

i took many, many pics (including a video of them working) heres a few.....

·
Registered
549 Posts
oh, the nuts for the original bolts that hold the motor on are 6mm x 1.00 threads. any questions ask away

·
Registered
829 Posts
Holy carp, Lopingkitty, SUPER HIGH RES much? LOL. Looks nice, though. How long did it take to set up?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
we did a similar set up on our 67---i redrilled the output hole on the crank for the correct stroke(1.25 in gives you 2.5 stroke)thenusing rt and left heim joints(5/16 dia)
made adjustable links.this way you can set the closed position to match the rest of the grill.you dont even have to run stops if ya don't want to .
i mounted the motors 90 deg from the way shown here and the motor centerline is aimed toward the car centerline and up approx 45deg.this aims the manual knob at the large holes in the headlight sheetmetal allowing you to open the doors in case of failure with a 5mm nut driver---remember the motors have 12 volt to them at all times and once rotated slightly they can rotate on their own.THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ROOM FOR YOUR HAND AND THE DOOR(S) IN THIS AREA AND THE DOOR IS FASTER THAN YOU!!!
doctordesoto

·
Registered
219 Posts
126turk
you can only use 89-92 probe motors.they are tricky to remove and even find when looking for them.ill give you a hint when looking for them.they are upside down in the probe.the tccnII is really good to use.lopingkitty also did a great job with pics.wish i would of had them when i did mine.good luck
charlie

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Did you wire the motors to a separate switch? From what I recall, there is a way to wire them up to the headlights themselves so that once the beam is on, the doors open and once the beam is off, they close.

·
Contributing Member
5,867 Posts
Did you wire the motors to a separate switch? From what I recall, there is a way to wire them up to the headlights themselves so that once the beam is on, the doors open and once the beam is off, they close.
You use a changeover relay and wire the on position to the input side of the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Some people say it is best to connect the activation wire to the hot side of the high beam switch.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all

The response to my request has been so much more than I expected!! I really appreciate the members on this site for all the knowledge and help that you extend to so many fellow Cat lovers. I am making plans to get this done. My car has taken years to get together and I'll take some extra time to get some of these updates done as I get it completed. When I figure out how to post some pics, I'll do that. Magnum 500's should be ready to be picked up Sunday..... everthing in it's time I guess.
Thanks again......... Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts