Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am having issues with my horn not working. I checked in my manuals and it looks like there is c.b. in the headlight switch that controls the horns. My question is how do you remove the headlight switch. I can get the switch from rockauto or ebay, but the removal is my question. do i pull the entire pull out or do i just remove the knob? thanks. BTW it's for my 74 XR7.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Circuit breaker in the light switch is for the lights, not the horn.

The horn has a separate fuse in the fuse panel, under the dash on the driver's side. There might be a relay somewhere also.

Check to make sure the horn contacts on the steering wheel and column are OK.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i looked at the contacts and they are all in the correct place. in the owners manual it says that the rear, parking, license, marker console prnd21 and horns are on a 15 amp c.b. and the headlights are on a 18 amp c.b. and both are integral with lighting switch. I looked in my fuse box and there is nothing labeled for the horns. and I hav found no relays anywhere else. I never thought it would be integral with lighting switch, but when i pushed the horn while pushing the release button, for the knob, i heard and felt a clicking inside the switch. I am a bit confused by this, but also leaning towards the lighting switch being faulty. i'll order one from rock auto for $8 and try it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I forgot to mention is that the steering column in the car is not the original, is out of a 1979 cougar. Thus isn't the original rimblow but a 75-79 steering wheel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the new headlight switch, horn still not working. Where would i need to look to find the ground wire underneath the column to get the horns working. Battery is draining if I leave the horns plugged in, so I believe it may be a ground issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i figured that they would be grounded by being bolted on also, but still nothing happens, except draining the battery when they are plugged in. I checked the ground wire under the dash and it is securely fastened.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
The live wire is not intact, then...

has to be a short between the steering horn button and the horn itself, or a crossed wire somewhere in between.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yes sir - batt drain=draw by something...? May or may not be related to your horn, but the column wiring would be the place to start from the sound of it. How was it connected if it wasn't "original"? You may want to start by narrowing down your search just to see which circuit you need to deal with. A few ways to go about it - pulling fuses and then testing for current flow on each one is probably the best way. Keep in mind if the car has a clock, or an aftermarket radio you may see a draw on those circuits. Whatever it is, isn't enough to blow the breaker/fuse, so it's not a dead short.....I would guess something not wired right like 2 things tied together that shouldn't. Consider anything else that doesn't seem to be working as a culprit too....good luck, it can be difficult to track down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
someone at some point cut the wires to the blower motor for the heater and put in a simple on/off switch under the dash. I will have to rewire it back to original. may be the problem/may not be, but first i have to find the correct wires. this could be causing the short. maybe easier to pull a wiring harness out of another car at pull a part. if nothing else i will run new wires for the horns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts