Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again,

Does anyone know how to remove the headlight switch on a 69? I know this is a stupid question, but before I start ripping everything apart, it would be nice to know how to do it the right way.

It seems to be in need of being replaced, badly. When I put the headlights on, it sounds like a windstorm from the vaccum, and now the dash lighs won't come on (They would flicker, until you played with the switch, but now they don't work at all).

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
Headlight switch

Nice thing is that 67-70 switches go on and come off about the same. First, disconnect the negative wire on the battery. Push the headlight knob in. On the body of the switch there is a small button, should be on the right side (passenger side), about halfway in the switch. You can feel the button with your fingers. Push that button and pull out the knob. Disconnect the vacuum hoses, making sure each one is marked with the proper color. Undo the bezel on the front of the switch. The whole thing should come out of the dash at this point. This is when I disconnect the electrical wiring, some people do it when they disconnect the vacuum hoses, up to you. Reverse those procudures when putting it in. The only time consuming thing I have when I put it back in is lining up the bezel. You may need to replace the switch if the lights flicker when you wiggle the knob, but try cleaning off the contacts first. This switch is not interchangeable with the Mustang as the 67/68 switch is. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts