Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last thing I had to do to get my 69 XR7 on the road was to reinstall the dash and hook back up all the interior lights. When I took the interior apart months ago, I labeled every wire so I could put them back together correctly, so I'm sure I didn't screw that part up.

When I plugged in the clock, map light, and courtesy light connectors, the main 5-wire connector for the interior lights got very hot very fast. I've checked all the wiring going to all the lights and dash switches - everything looks good there. I think my problem may be in the headlight switch itself.

So my question today is - How in the #%!* do you remove the headlight switch? Is it a separate piece from the vacuum assemblyconnected to it? I couldn't even see it under the dash! Pictures?

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hey Jeff -

There is a "button" on the switch housing, it is small...about a 3/8 inch in diameter, you need to depress it and while holdoing it in pull the switch knob out of the assembly. You'll need to use the "eyes" on your fingers to find it, if I am correct it is on top of the switch, a real b!tch to get at. Then take a large flat screw driver and remove the collar on the dash that holds the switch in place and remove the switch from behind the dash and unplug the harness. So you don't cause a wiring fire/short...I'd pull the positive cable from the battery.

Jay

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
First... you might want to double check the clock connection. As I recall, there is an unused (on XR7) connector in that vicinity that will blow a circuit/fuse if you hook the clock to it... I've done that a couple of times until I taped it over to avoid the mistake.

Regarding headlamp switch, it is all one piece with the vacuum bit. To remove it, pull the knob out completely while reaching behind the dash to the switch. There is a little button on the switch which allows the knob to come completely out. Then its a matter of loosening the whole thing from the dash by rotating the bezel.

If you do replace your switch, hang on to the little "cup" on the front of the switch. Replacement switches (unless you get a real Cougar one) do not include that piece.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The button is on the side of the light switch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I never would have figured that out on my own!

Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success! Bought repro switch from WCC. Had to remove the welded-on angled "bonnett" from the old switch (PITA!) then riveted it to the new switch. Getting the old switch out was difficult, but piece of cake compared with getting the new switch in - not a lot of room to maneuver under the dash, had to hold it perfectly centered while screwing in the old post. NOT for someone with large hands! But all is well, new switch works great and all of my interior lights now work and are once again BRIGHT! Thanks again for your input.

(And the button is on the SIDE. I would not have know what to look - or feel - for if I had not waited for the new switch before taking out the old one.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts