Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey is the headlight switch supposed to be making a hissing noise when the lights are on? If not why would it be doing that? Thanks

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
nope you have a vacuum leak check around the hoses you may have a cracked vacuum line

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well, before I broke mine the other day (stupid, stupid, stupid...) it always did the same. The sound you are hearing is the air releasing from the other line. While trying to rig something up until I get a new switch, I found, that when you move the switch, and it directs the vacuum into another hose, the first hose releases it's air to allow the other hose to do it's job... So, basically, the air that is used to hold the headlight doors down, is released, so the air that is used to hold them up doesn't have to fight over the air holding them down... Atleast thats what it looked like to me, because when I didn't release the other air, the headlight covers looked like they were fighting themselves to come up.

Hope I made some sense...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just re-read your post, what I am talking about is the noise when you first turn them on. It should go away soon after. If the noise continues, yes, you have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got ya. They sound doesnt stop. So i guess i hot a leak. I thought I put them in the right order when I took my dash out. Maybe not. Anywhere to get a new switch if this ones bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts