Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had modified their headlights to run off relays. I have seen a lot of articles on this and since I am doing so much re-wiring right now with the new cluster and the gm alternator that now is probably the best time. It seems like a sound idea.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've done it to Donna's Restomod, you will need one relay for the low beams and one for the high beams. It is not a hard project. I also upgraded to Halogen lights at the same time, which made a huge difference in lighting. If I could figure out how to attach the wiring diagram to a post I would but I haven't figured that out yet. :(

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I did mine. Nothing to it.
There are some earlir posts decribing what to do.
Bruce: email the diagram to Logan and he can add it to the Archives.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
kirkm76 said:
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had modified their headlights to run off relays. I have seen a lot of articles on this and since I am doing so much re-wiring right now with the new cluster and the gm alternator that now is probably the best time. It seems like a sound idea.

What is the advantage to this mod???
Don

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will get more power to the headlights. The power will flow from the battery to the lights rather than from the battery, back to the dash headlight switch and then back out to the headlights. That creates a voltage drop in the headlight circuit making your lights dimmer. I also have an issue with my turn signal indicators with the headlights on. They flash a few times, then flash at a different speed, then do the flicker. I don't have this problem with the lights off so I am hoping that by taking the load off the dash area that may clear up. Even if it doesn't though the brighter headlights should be worth the 15 bucks in parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts