Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 XR7 has the tilt-away steering wheel feature and often (due to big feet) I knock the connector off the thingy just above the gas pedal that triggers the wheel to tilt. Well, this morning I came back from court and when I shut off the car and opened the door, the wheel didn't tilt away. I assumed I had knocked off the connector again and gave it no further thought. But what I didn't realize is that I had left the headlights on. A little while later, after my ever-observant secretary notified me that the lights were on, I ran outside, opened the door and pushed in the headlight switch. As soon as I did that, the steering wheel tilt mechanism activated. Is this supposed to work this way? If so, it makes for a cool warning that the lights are left on.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
My 68 XR7 has the tilt-away steering wheel feature and often (due to big feet) I knock the connector off the thingy just above the gas pedal that triggers the wheel to tilt.
I also have both, tilt and big feet... (usually means you have a real clean windshield when driving at night, with the dimmer under the magic pedal)

Now i'll have to go look under the dash, I did not know anything about such a thingie near the gas pedal.

Jean

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wrong. I tried it out coming back from lunch and it didn't work this time (i.e., the steering wheel popped away even though I intentionally left the headlights on). So much for my great "discovery."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts