Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Cougar owners, one thing that most of us eventually needs, are headlight hoses. A few years ago, after completing a rotisserie restoration on my car, I purchased a brand new set of reproduction hoses from WCCC. Although they were very expensive, I went ahead and bought a set, because it seemed like the only available option. After a couple of years, these hoses became harder and harder. I would shorten them and they would crack; it was clear that they were an inferior product. I contacted Don at WCCC. As it turned out, he was way ahead of me, and had already cut ties with the manufacturer of this junk. To Don’s credit, he did what he could, and sent me a good set of used hoses out of one of his salvage cars. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Unfortunately, I really can’t use old hoses in my car, and I don’t want to make my own from parts store tubing. I would like to have a new, correct set, but I’m not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought standard hose and made my own set/ They are not striped as the originals but they're holding up and were a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have to. I’m running out of options. What did you do for the “cork” that goes through the firewall?

·
10,971 Posts
I use GOOF - OFF and some fine Scotch Brite to clean the original hoses. They come out looking like new afterwards provided that you start with a set that isn't cut or damaged in some way.

As Cougar owners, one thing that most of us eventually needs, are headlight hoses. A few years ago, after completing a rotisserie restoration on my car, I purchased a brand new set of reproduction hoses from WCCC. Although they were very expensive, I went ahead and bought a set, because it seemed like the only available option. After a couple of years, these hoses became harder and harder. I would shorten them and they would crack; it was clear that they were an inferior product. I contacted Don at WCCC. As it turned out, he was way ahead of me, and had already cut ties with the manufacturer of this junk. To Don’s credit, he did what he could, and sent me a good set of used hoses out of one of his salvage cars. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Unfortunately, I really can’t use old hoses in my car, and I don’t want to make my own from parts store tubing. I would like to have a new, correct set, but I’m not sure which way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts