Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, the doors stay closed as long as the car is running, once the engine is turned off the doors open, whats the problem and whats the fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Headslight covers

I believe that that is caused by a bad vacuum storage canister.
The canister is located in the front of the left fender.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Headlight Doors

It is normally one of two things. You have a leak in your headlight vacumn motor located behind the center grille or your one way valve is leaking. The valve is just off the intake manifold, where the vacumn hose comes off. It looks like a space capsule. It keeps the stored air from returning back into the intake when you shut the engine off. John @ Cascade Classics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem with my 69. Does the "space capsule" have one vacuum line from manifold going in and two lines coming out? If that is the culprit, who has a replacement? I've also heard the tank could be leaking. Is that a possibility? If the motor is leaking can that be repaired? BTW, I'm new to Cougars - sorry for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You could put a one-in, one-out check valve upstream of the factory valve.

Also check to see if the manual open/close valve is in the correct position. It is located on the fender apron toward the front of the car. Twist the tab on the valve to see if it has any effect. No picture, but follow the vacuum lines forward from the check valve and you will find it. It is about 2" in diameter and has four vacuum ports on it.

This is for a 69/70 Cat. You don't indicate what year yours is. Why not add this info to your signature?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I have the same problem with my 69. Does the "space capsule" have one vacuum line from manifold going in and two lines coming out? If that is the culprit, who has a replacement? I've also heard the tank could be leaking. Is that a possibility? If the motor is leaking can that be repaired? BTW, I'm new to Cougars - sorry for the dumb questions.
Yes, single in from intake source and two out. One line goes to the headlight switch and the other to the large resevoir under the left front fender. If the "space capsule" is leaking all the air from the system will bleed back into the intake when the engine is shut off causing the headlight doors to open. I have a replacement space capsule available for $25 plus shipping.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
It means you have a 67 or 68 and a whole different problem.

67-68 have individual vacuum motors for each side, 69-70 have one vacuum motor for both sides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts