Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you already know, the TCCN website is under construction. Unfortunately, the technical articles portion of the website is still not up. :(

I just bought a 1967 Cougar XR7, and one of my first orders of business is to get the headlight doors working. I really don't want to spend the $1000 on restoring the old vacuum system, and the use of the Probe headlight actuators sounds like my best solution.

Does anyone have a copy of the Bruce Habel article? I've been looking all over the web, but haven't run across any site that doesn't try to link me back to a page that no longer exists.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that setup on a different thread. Looks like the ideal solution for the electrical portion of the work. I plan on buying it. The only part missing is the male connector to the headlamp actuator. I'm hoping to find a probe at the Pick-Ur-Parts so I can get the harnesses too. I want to be able to disconnect the actuator, so that I never mistakenly ruin my grill when using the grill straightening kit from West Coast Classic Cougars.

So much to do, so little money.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to take this time to thank my fellow Cougar owners who were gracious enough to send me a copy of the Bruce Habel article and related drawings. This is a great forum, and I'm glad to have run across it.

@ Hellcat. Saw your setup, and it looks great! I'm a little hesitant to cut the headlight housing assembly, though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ain't nothin' wrong with that man. I was scared when I did it but I figured it was time to be bold and risk stupidity all at once! lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cool actuators, I already bought my probe motors adn mounted them by the time I saw your video. To get rid of the extra switch you might be able to retro fit a swtich into the vaccum sectionof the headlight switch so it activates the doors when the lights and closes then when the lights are off. Perhaps having a cam move the toggle so it will move the toggle so far then release it when th elights are fully on and vise versa when the lights are being turned off.

Also for anyone in the know where can I find the motor arms for the probe motors? mine came with the motors only and no arm to attach them to the headlamp doors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts