Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I'm thinking I have a bad vacuum motor on my left headlight cover, but I'm not sure. Both headlight covers open when I turn the lights on, but only my right one closes when I turn them off. I've tested the vacuum hoses at the motor and at the tee junction (and checked the tee junction for debris... which there was some, but I cleared it and it still has the issue). I'm thinking the motor has a leak that isn't allowing the vacuum to pull the headlight closed. Additionally, when the headlights are closed, I can lift the left one but not the right.

Just hoping you all can enlighten me to any additional troubleshooting before I replace the motor. I have an extra, but don't want to go through the trouble if I can help it (headlights are a pain to take out). Do the motors have separate compartments for open and close? It just seems weird to me it would open but not close if there was a leak in the motor.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Contributing Member
1,886 Posts
: Headlight vacuum actuator?

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?34159-Headlight-vacuum-actuator&

QUOTE FROM...
mrvacuumman
January 27th, 2008, 01:26 AM
The (2) vacuum actuators that are in the headlight open position( actuator shaft all the way down-headlight door open) & that are hard to pull out are more than likely Lincoln actuators (they have an internal spring which, at the first loss of vacuum, will open your headlight doors-fail open system is what the Lincoln rocket scientists called it)
DO NOT USE THESE IF POSSIBLE
These actuators actually DECREASE your HP as they constantly fight against your engine for increased vacuum to stay closed.
The 67-68 actuators were virtually identical & nothing is different, so they are interchangable.
Both the TOP & BOTTOM brass nipples(ports) are for vacuum 1) when vacuum is applied to the top port, the suction causes the actuator shaft to rise-closing your doors 2) when vacuum is applied to the bottom port, the suction causes the actuator shaft to go down-opening your headlight doors.
Without going out & buying a vacuum tester( which measures in inches of mercury-the standard of vacuum) the easiest way to test the actuators is this 1) with your thumb covering the bottom port, apply presure downward on the actuator shaft(not to much-about 10-15 pounds of force) & imerse the actuator about 3/4 of the way into a bucket of water(DO NOT SUBMERGE THE TOP PORT WHILE DOING THIS) & watch for escaping air(bubbles) if there are none, this means that your internal diaphragm is still good 2) tape up the bottom port so that it is sealed off & with your thumb covering the top port, pull up on the actuator shaft. If the shaft comes up, the upper shaft seal is toast. If the shaft stays stationary(remember, 10-15 pounds worth of pulling pressure) then proceed to immerse it in the bucket of water like you did before & check for air leaks. IF YOU SEE A FEW BUBBLES DON"T WORRY. The shaft dust boot (the rubber acordion type thing) has 2 holes in it - they release excess vacuum & ARE ALSO MEANT TO BE USED TO RE-LUBRICATE the shaft & the upper shaft seal. The upper seal needs lubrication to seal out the dust, atmospher, etc. To lubricate the shaft & upper seal, simply get a can of WHITE LITHIUM SPRAY grease & use the red spray straw to spray lithium in through the bottom hole in the dust boot.
The upper shaft seal will work( and seal) like a million bucks after this is done.
Again, please resist using the Lincoln actuators(part #C8SZ-13A167-B) on your Cougar as they were designed to be use on a much more robust vac system.
Every time I open one for repair, the spring shoots out & tries to impale me-NASTY

Hope this helps:eek7:

<HR itxtNodeId="110">

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Catman for the explanation and Don for the videos!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Don, quick question for you...

So I had two extra motors from my parts car. Unfortunately, it just turned into one because, while knocking out the bolt at the bottom of the motor, I accidentally hit the vacuum nipple (I'm sure I'm the first person to ever do this,...). My guess is it isn't replaceable, but you're the expert.... Did I ruin the actuator or is there still hope for it?

Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any advice?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Just drill out the brass nipple and replace it, mention it on your next order and we will give you one for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts