Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there one? the left cover does not close all the way. it's very close, but since the right one closes all the way, it bugs me to look at the left one just slightly ajar.

i can't tell if there is a problem mechanically, or maybe the rag joint is worn just a bit, but everything looks normal. plenty of vacuum, so that is not an issue. when the covers are up, both covers are to the stops.

any ideas? thanks-

billy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'm guessing but are there stops that it sits on when closed?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'm guessing but are there stops that it sits on when closed?
Harvey is correct, see if the side that doesn't close all the way is touching the stop when closed. If yes, there is a nut on the inside of that grille half that allows the stop to be moved (within a slotted hole in the grille half). If it is not hitting the stop then something else is binding, preventing it from closing all the way. If this is the case I would detach the spring on that side and see if it closes under that condition.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harvey is correct, see if the side that doesn't close all the way is touching the stop when closed. If yes, there is a nut on the inside of that grille half that allows the stop to be moved (within a slotted hole in the grille half). If it is not hitting the stop then something else is binding, preventing it from closing all the way. If this is the case I would detach the spring on that side and see if it closes under that condition.

Regards,

Bob
unfortunately it is NOT hitting the stop. wish it was that easy. it almost looks like the rivet that goes through the rag joint has worn a slightly larger hole in the joint causing just a little slop. i will take off the spring and see what happens-

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Your problem is you have 2 rights or two left linkage parts. From the factory they were the same but over time, with spring tension they have become egg shaped so when you get one off a parts car you have to get one off the same side.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your problem is you have 2 rights or two left linkage parts. From the factory they were the same but over time, with spring tension they have become egg shaped so when you get one off a parts car you have to get one off the same side.
thanks Don. not exactly sure what you said - are you suggesting i do need a new linkage part/rag joint? and if so, i need one from the driver side? sounds like if the problem is having either two rights or two lefts, then i need to have a right for the pax side and a left for the driver side?

i will be making an order soon for some other parts so let me know. thanks-

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Is there a urethane or similar rag joint available anywhere that would fit this application? Mine are the originals and are beyond egg-shaped but they still work OK.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Ok, I'm bumping this thread because I have a similar problem;

On my '70, the passenger side eyelid doesn't quite come all the way down (it stops about 1/2" or so high). After some investigation, it looks like there is a little slop / play where the rag joint shaft (Don's link above)slips over the shaft coming from the actuator (the one that passes through to the other side). My driver's side has no play / slop in that connection.

I'm thinking that I could remove the rag joint shaft and close up the gap where it slides over the shaft from the actuator, thus removing the slop and "matching" the eyelids.

Does that seem reasonable, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello Mike.

Its easy to take the center lever arm off, just pull the joint holding actuator arm and remove the 2 cotter pins.
Then you can pull the center section arm out by push it to the left and it will come loose at the right side vice versa.
To tightening it you maybe can squeeze the rag joint shaft tube a little in place.

/Tommy.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Thanks Tommy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts