Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to rechrome the bars that are on my head light grills, how would I go about doing that? Do they come off? If so, how?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
For what year Cougar?

·
Registered
391 Posts
The chrome pieces are riveted to the black pieces. You'd have to drill each and every one of them out. I've seen it done once carefully, and the two pieces put back together with small screws. I don't know how bad your chrome is, but if it's not too bad, you might try cleaning it up with some 0000 steel wool. I've cleaned the crud off a few Cougar grills that way and they came out quite good:

IMG_0038.jpg

Full disclosure, though: before I cleaned the chrome, I also cleaned the grille thoroughly first, taped off each chrome upright before spraying it with Eastwood Chassis Black. I really improves the look of the entire front of the car.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Maybe so if you got a little on the chrome you could clean it off?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've done it both ways, and perhaps wasn't clear. It is easier if you clean the chrome first then paint, but you can also just spray it all and clean the paint off with the steel wool after the paint is dry, say in a few hours. I also had a friend who didn't want to tape all of the chrome, so he put some brake fluid on a rag and carefully wiped off the paint as needed. Another idea that I thought was clever, and it looked good. The only drawback I saw is that the chrome bars are actually painted with argent (silver) paint on the sides, and if you don't mask them off, you lose the stock look.

·
Registered
152 Posts
On my grille i took 3m tape they sell at a paint store in my home town that measured 3/16s in diameter. It covered the flat chrome surface perfectly and I painted the rest with trim black thus deleting the argent sides. From my point of view it wasn't difficult and it makes the chrome pop more instead of being downplayed by the argent. Also before i painted anything I rubbed the chrome down with Neverdull and it cleaned up nice. One more thing, spray the entire assembly 5 minutes before you paint with Bulldog adhesive. It'll make paint bond to pot metal a lot better. Hope that helps ya :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have actually grinding the press rivits on a spare door i had....I am looking at the Cougar GTE headlight trim package now....I think it would look sweet with the hood scoop I just bought and the front spoiler I am putting on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts