Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to tackle the restoration of headlight assemblies on my 1968 Cougar while it is at the body shop. I really like the restored headlights that WCCC has, however $4500 is out of my budget. Anybody have a step-by-step process that they have documented that you are willing to share?

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can take it appart clean it up , buy the kit to allign the lids, paint the grill black, purchase new actuators, redo all the vac lines,buy new adjusting bolts and springs. Purchase new running cougar sticker. If the chrome is good this process will give you the look of a restored set up. You could drop in some Hella head lights(Driving and brights) without any retro work. I did all this for under $700.00 and it looks new, It just takes that damn thing called time.
Good luck.
PBcoug

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Guys,
The chrome on my headlamp grilles is questionable. If I decide to have the chrome redone, do I chrome the whole grilles and then paint the sections black or can I just remove the chrome sections? Regarding the actuators, I am thinking about switching to an electric setup just like 351CJ HELLCAT has done in another post.
James

·
Registered
309 Posts
The chrome on my headlights wasn't to bad but I removed the headlight assys and then removed the chrome and the runnung cat emblem on the pass side then took a dremel tool and polished the chrome, It really polished out nice the hardest part was grinding off the metal flanges that hold it all together and then reassembling it. A little apoxy, a little elbow, grease and black satin paint (same as I used on the eng comp.) a new runnung cat and decal and it all came out real nice! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i found all the threaded holes were corroded or stripped out---make sure you helicoil them as these are the holes that held the assy toghter while riviting---you can drill your rivits and cat emblem for 2-56 or 3-56 screws to reassemble also
doctordesoto

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If you get it chromed the process uses an acid bath - so don't paint anything until you get it back. Of course your going to want is as straight as possible before the shop gets it......it's meticulous work - that's why it's pricey to have it done. You can save by doing 90% of the prep work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys and Gals. After cleaning everything up, the chrome on the headlight grilles are in really good shape with the exception of the running cat on the right side. I am assuming that the emblem is held on by 4 rivets. Just wanted to be sure before grinding them off.
James

·
Registered
913 Posts
You are correct! You can buy a new cat, and the plate that goes behind it. WCCC I think

1 - 10 of 10 Posts