Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of the headlight assembly brackets for my 68 Cougar. Mine are rusted pretty bad. I have a 67 Cougar parts car that I believe the brackets are ok. I plan on removing the assemblies this week and was wondering what all I would need to remove to get to the assemblies?
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
913 Posts
I know this is gonna sound like a smart a_ _, but you will just have to jump in and take loose whatever it takes to get it out, if you take too much loose, it won't hurt anything, It's a parts car, then you will know what to take off or the driver.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I took mine apart I just dove right in. Putting it back together takes a little more effort. But, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Still don't have all the vacuum lines hooked up. I would be more worried about that part of it. Good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
To get to the entire assemblies safely ( that being the headlights and center grills which are all connected), you will need to remove the front bumper and valance. With them out of the way it's cake to remove the assemblies. There are 2 nuts on each side of the center grills against the wall of the assemblies that are vertical from each other. On the center grill ornament there are 2 bolts from each side (drivers and passengers) that need to be removed. Then towards the inner fender/ fender extension area of the headlight "housing" you'll see 2 bolt ends through their body style nut (flat piece with the raised threaded hole that slides into the selected slot of the fender extension piece). Remove them from inside the wheel well. You'll have to remove the splash shields and maybe the big vacuum reservoir on the driver's side top access them. After that it should pull away freely. Like everyone above said use the donor car to figure it out, it'll be no big deal if you scratch it. Also, on my car I had to patch rust holes and obviously repaint my headlight housings so don't be deterred by the rough conditions as it's normal with these cars.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the good info. I was just wanting to remove the minimum number of parts necessary plus keep as much of the donor car together for a reference when I reassemble my good car. I did tackle it last night and it took about an hour and a half. I did find that I was able to remove the bumper bracket bolts at the frame connection and simple slide the bumper assembly forward enough to get to the 2 bolts on each side of the bumper filler. I didn't have to remove the valance or splash shields and luckily the vacuum reservoir had already been removed. I did find it was necessary to remove the center grille.
James

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have lately been using my digital camera and my laptop along with some good old masking tape. I take several pictuers of what I'm taking apart.
As each nut/bolt comes off I label with the masking tape and corresponding label on motor/body/chassis. Then for reassembly I set my laptop by the
work area with the pictuers for reference(full screen) and hopefully no parts will be left over when I'm finished. I also cover the keybord with clear plastic
wrap so I won't get grime and crap on it. Sometimes a visual is very helpful...Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts