Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate these things and I am over it. What is everyone doing about these vacuum pumps going bad. Is there a replacement, refurbishment or better system to install. I have one good pump and two bad ones. I would appreciate to know what you guys are doing. My car is a 68 cougar. thanks is advance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Typically, the seal at the top goes bad.
As long as the internal diaphragm is intact and the shaft is not too pitted it can be repaired.
John's Classic Cougars sells the top seal and rubber bellows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My buddy and I did a restoration of a 76 vette and the headlights on that are of course vacuum actuated and we did a frame off on this car and I cannot imagine how much time we have into it? With that said I walked out to the shop one day and there were two boxes in there and inside were to electric conversion kits to get rid of the vacuum actuated headlights and convert them to 12 volt, I dont think they were very expensive, does anybody make something like that for the Cougars?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hate these things and I am over it. What is everyone doing about these vacuum pumps going bad. Is there a replacement, refurbishment or better system to install. I have one good pump and two bad ones. I would appreciate to know what you guys are doing. My car is a 68 cougar. thanks is advance.
They make electric motor for headlights now

·
Super Moderator
11,030 Posts
There are no vacuum pumps in the system. There is a vacuum motor for each headlamp door. Typically the upper seal / bellows rots out then you have a huge vacuum leak and headlight doors that won't close. I've fixed several using this kit:
Headlight bellows repair kit

To use this kit on the Cougar requires enlarging the hole in the headlamp motor by about 1/4". This can be done a number of ways, I like to chain drill the opening, then clean it up with a rotary file, vacuum out the shavings, and install the new rubber. It's really cheap and takes about an afternoon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts