Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headers on my 72 cat are rusted through. After checking out tons of NOS sites and new performance headers but there is no way in hell I'm paying that much. If you know of or have some headers for a 72 Cougar with a 351 Cleveland, please let me know. Thanks alot:confused: :rolleyes: :D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem finding headers for your cat at a reasonable price. Try Summit Racing. They carry Heddman. You didn't specify whether you have a 2V or 4V Cleveland. The flange on some 2V headers will not cover the port of 4V heads. If they don't have a listing for Cougar, remember that your Cat is the same as a Mustang under the skin. You shouldn't have any problem finding them for under $100.

I still have a new-in-box set of Blackjack headers for my 4V Cleveland. It hasn't seen the road since 1984. One of these days.... No, I'm not trying to sell you my headers. Some day I'm gonna get that car back on the road, and when I do I'll need those headers. Too bad I can't get tailpipes any more. I suppose I'll have to get them custom bent.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanx for the advice. Its got a 4v Carter carb but thats a seperate problem because of the unpopularity of it on the 72 cat. Most repair manuals only cover the Holley. :mad:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
More importantly...

than whatever carb you are running is what heads you have. Are they 2V or 4V heads? The port size differs greatly between the head type. Sorry if you already know the difference, but some people don't! Even the 2V head ports look huge compared to Windsors!

The easiest way is to look at the upper corners of the heads, just outside of the valve cover flange. A 4V head will either have a 4 or 4* (the * is really a 1/4 to 3/8 inch bump or pimple) If they have nothing or a 2 you have 2V heads. If they have a 4 you have closed chamber or 'quench' 4V heads. If they have a 4* you have open chamber 4V heads. If you already have your current headers off, you can see what the shape of the exhaust port is. If it is an oval, its a 2V. If it is square-ish with one corner cut short, it is a 4V.

Like I said in the earlier response, it does make a difference when you need to order new headers whether you have 2V or 4V heads. You can use 4V headers on 2V heads, but usually not the other way around.

Again, sorry if you already know all this....

Good luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i'll go check out the heads and see. i haven't really gone very far yet because i dont want to ruin or lose anything. This is my first car and I'm glad its a cat. Thanx 4 your help cougarrcj:D :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts