Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new set of headers. I can only find two. hooker or headman. The basic difference between the two is the hookers are a bigger tube. Does anyone have any expierence with these two headers? I know big tubes are beter for higher RPM's. I'm thinking that the smaller tube headers could run equally well because the 2v heads flow fairly well. If anyone has any expierence with either of these two headers, please share your advice. I'm only looking to add about 100HP to the stock numbers.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
What size motor are you running, sorry I cant remember. I use Flowtech headers in my Fairlane 289. They also fit Windsor, but they dont list any for the Cleveland. Im really impressed with them. They fit awesome with no mods at all. They are 1 5/8 pipe into 3" collectors. They list some for the Windsor in Cougar, but not Cleveland. Hooker Super Comp. are top notch headers, I had Hedman on my 70 Cougar 351C 4V and the fit was good, and I think they were 1 5/8 as well, a very good replacement for the stock manifolds I thought.

Rick

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you aren't really heavily modding your engine, the Hooker Competitions should be fine. The Super Competitions would probably be a bit too much.

Personally, I <3 My Hooker Headers
;)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
There is a place in Vancouver (Surrey) called Mopac. They sell the Cassler brand (cheap Hookers I think) and they are awesome headers for the Cleveland. Im going to get a set of those when my car is back on the road in a few months. I will write them and ask a price on them, I think they were around 200. Can. or so. In the old Hot Rod mags and old Ford hop-up sections they listed them as "awesome headers for the Mustang/Cougar/Torino with Clevelands".

Rick

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have a set of the hedman's on my 351C-2v. The fit is excellent. Mine were ceramic coated, and after a year, still look exactly as when installed. Whatever you go with, I highly recommend some kind of coating. I had hedman headers on my old '71 351C - 4v uncoated. The engine bay was always very hot and the headers would burn up plug wires like mad. Go for the coating!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I heavily agree with Jim. Get ceramic coating headers. I now have the enviable task of pulling my hooker comps out and getting them coated. The heat in the engine bay is atrocious, never mind the crappy lightly rusted finish on em now... :(

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to run Eagle brand headers on a 70 Cougar 351. They were a very satisfying upgrade. I don't think they exist anymore. I'll take the advice on the coating. I guess what I looking to find out is which header is going to flow the best running a 750 holley with a medium cam. The larger hookers or the smaller Headmans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Watch those flowtech on 351W

I picked up a set of Flowtech headers for small block Cougar/Mustang and the bolted on OK but wouldn't cleat the FMX Tranny. I'm having a custom set of shortys made out here in California.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: Watch those flowtech on 351W

BlueCat69 said:
I picked up a set of Flowtech headers for small block Cougar/Mustang and the bolted on OK but wouldn't cleat the FMX Tranny. I'm having a custom set of shortys made out here in California.
I had the Hooker's ordered specific for the FMX/351W and they fit fine. I dunno if it's different for the Cleveland...I only paid $130 for mine, so if that helps.... :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FlowTech dosen't make a pair for the Cleveland. So its down to Hookers, Headmans or Thorleys.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I thought I said they dont make them for the Cleveland. Thats to bad, they are good headers.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
if im not mistaken, the Super Comps have larger primaries and are supposedly higher quality. but im not aware of other differences. other than the price of course

1 - 14 of 14 Posts