Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there using headers on their 69 S code? If so how well is the fit, is there more, or less room to get to the plugs. Also looking for reccomendations on a good muffler. I'm looking for that throaty FE RUMBLE :)

Also can anyone tell me if the 69 S code Eliminator had factory crome valve cover's and is so where can I find some?? The reason I ask is I have the factory air cleaner and it's crome. I could swear the owner I got the car from told me the factory covers were crome.

·
Registered
109 Posts
headers on a 69 S code

I had headers on a previous R code 69 Cat and it actually made the plugs easier to change. However all the other problems associated with headers made it an easier choice for me this time around. NO WAY. Your Eliminator should have the "Power by Ford" chrome valve covers.

Barry

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott Have to agree with Barry Often headers are more trouble than they are worth.If you do run them the engine will breathe better at hi RPM however you will need to retorque the bolts at 100/500/1500 and nearly every other 1000 mile intervals or the gaskets will blow out.Also be sure not to go over any speed bumps or you will restrict the tubes flow.Also if you have PS you will need a drop bracket for the ram which will break off and then you will have to weld to the frame untill it breaks off again.Because you have an Eliminator that is rare"S" code I think the value will diminish as the car is customized.Anyone can get it wrong but takes real genius to get it right and for me right is the correct parts the car had when new with of course upgrades like radial tires and unleaded fuel.Any way thats one catz opinion.Thanks for listening to that.I would also like to say that when does a person change plugs? I put in a used set in my 390 XR7 in 1997 and haven't looked back.No misses or other problems.Idid not know the condition of the engine back in 97 so I ran some used parts Turns out I never have to add a drop of oil to it between oil changes.I won't bother with the plugs again till there is a problem and its still on points as well.They are renewed at 10,000 miles or so.Hope this helps Ray

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have a tip you might use If you go with the headers. When you install your gaskets use a bead of hi temp red permatex silocone around each exhaust port on each side of the gasket. Let it set up some before you put the gasket on and remember you dont need much. Don't laugh till you try it. I had one of my race car stroker motors with a really nasty set of ported heads that would not hold a gasket and I tried the permatex and it solved the gasket blowing. Also I dont remember where I got them but sombody makes a special small outside diameter lock washer for the header bolts and they help alot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input 428 I think I will keep the car original its a better class of cars for the shows. Would you happen to know where I can get a set of those crome covers from the proper era?.

Modifiedmark, I have used that little trick with the Hitemp silicone many times and I have never burned up a gasket yet. I took it one step further and use two Gaskets, with silicone on all sides. I just got rid of a 318 truck that was going on 5 years with no header leaks. My current 85 4x4 1 ton crew cab with a 440 is going on 1 year with no leaks.

Ray, thanks for the advice I never thought of the ground clearance problems. I just got my Marti Auto report back and it turns out that my car is 1 of 54 made with the 390 :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
chrome valve covers

Scott

You should be able to find them at a swap meet. They were put on a lot of 390's ,427's & 428's. Perogies from New Jersey had a beautiful set that were just rechromed at the spring Carlisle meet. I think they were asking $225. Not cheap but they were perfect.

Does you Marti report actually say that there were only 54 390 Eliminators made or does it mean 54 with your motor/transmission combo and your exterior/interior combo. Just curious because the last CCOA newsletter that had stats in said there were around 30 registered with them. Frank Bowers is the Eliminator registrar. If you are interested in checking your car with him he can be e-mailed at [email protected]

Barry

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Barry

I had the car checked by engine/trans and exterior color of metallic blue. If I remember right I did register my car with Frank and it was the 33rd Eliminator with the 390/C6 combo is his records.

I wish I could find a Ford swap meet!!! I've been keeping my ears open but have not heard anything in my local area or within 200 miles of here. I live on the central coast of Oregon in Florence its a small town and I dont hear about things like that until its over. I keep hearing folks refer to CCOA news letter I've been a member now for 4 or 5 months and have never recieved one should I be???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Scott,

Those 390/C6 Elims must be more rare than I thought. You should have gotten a newsletter by now. I got my last one around the middle of May. Contact Carl Graziano at [email protected] and tell him. He is the editor of the newsletter. Good luck.

Barry

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Does anyone recall what "Cougar by the Numbers" calls for S-code Eliminators in color catagorie breakdown?
Mine was one of the "goofy" optioned cars with a odd color combo, according to Marti was one of three. I still dont understand how Marti knows all this stuff with all the info that has been lost over the years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wrink,
Marti's book only says that there were 101 Bright Yellow Eliminators with white interior (EA). Doesn't say how many of them were S codes. If your report says your car is one of three I would beleive that. Personally, I like that color combo.

Barry

·
Registered
231 Posts
Back to the original question about the Headers... I installed a set of FPA tri Y on my 69 XR7 390 Convertible... A modest gain of 25-30 hp over the Stock manifolds. I also have a edlebrock performer RPM manifold and a Comp Cam. I recommend the heads and save the original exhasut manifolds.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I had headers on my 390 G-car back in the day. I took them off after a while for all of the reasons mentioned above. Since I will be doing a resto on my new 390 G-car soon, Royce recomended an easier and more effective upgrade on performance. Use the Edlebrock heads and then install CJ exhaust manifolds. That seems liek a great way to go and not to many people will know any different.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Marti report

Shane,
I believe Kevin Marti bought Ford's database from 67 through 73. That is why he has the info on all the cars. He can query the database using your cars information and get the data broken down pretty much any way you might want it based on colors, options, interior and trim. It is interesting to see how many, and how few cars came from the factory with the same colors/options as mine.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
448 Posts
Headers

I have had headers on my cougar for 10 years. I do not use a power steering drop bracket (although I probably should) and I have retorqued the bolts once, when I replaced the gasket about two years ago. I have not touched the bolts since then. Properly installed headers with good gaskets do not need to be retorqued that often. I plan on having FPA tri Y's on my FE this spring. They do not hang as low as some of the other headers, and breathe much better than stock exhaust manifolds.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I wish I could get away with not using the ps drop bracket, but there was no way for the headers to clear it otherwise, at least not without significant "persuasion" in the form of Dad's 3lb ball-peen, but I just couldn't bear it. What headers fit using the stock bracket? I think Royce said the FPAs might work, but do they make headers for 302? I'd use hi-flo manifolds except that I'd have to add a "down-pipe" from the manifolds to the current exhaust..... maybe it's worth it....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts