Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck.

I'm installing Flowtech Longtube Ceramic headers (# 32100FLT) in my 69 XR7 Cougar formerly w/single exhaust and there seems to be a problem w/clearance on the left side.

The end of the header collector (about 10" long 3" tube from 4 pipes to end) terminates about 1/4" from the tranny mounting bracket welded to the frame. The problem is that the bracket covers about 1/4" over the opening of the collector making it impossible to connect up the reducer (going from 3" to 2.5" exhaust. Has anyone seen this problem before?

The right side doesn't seem to have the problem since the bracket on that side is shaped differently and the collector clears.

I've got a message into Flowtech, but haven't heard back.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You may find these won't fit and no real solution with these exact headers. The ceramic negates the ablitiy to "modify" them and voids warr. I suggest returning them and getting a set of FPA headers. Not cheap (appro $400) but they fit almost prefectly. The flange was not beveled to allow spark plug chage on original Windsor heads w/ big plugs. This has been solved my FPA. The works w/ manual trans too.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/Headers.htm

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Yup

Sounds familiar with some Hedmans I ran. The headers point in towards the tranny too far. Why? They're expecting a C4. I had to modify my headers to fit.
Hookers don't do this. I mean Hooker headers of course.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently, from the numerous posts on the subject in other threads, Hookers seem to be the ones. These Flowtechs clear the FMX OK, they just have too long a collector. If the collector were 5" long rather than 10", then I'd have some room to work around the tranny mounting boss. Since the Mustang and Cougar are similar, I find it hard to believe that flowtech actually tried their headers on a Cougar or Mustang w/351W.

Funny, since Holley owns both Hooker and Flowtech.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, CougarBill. I will check out the FPA headers as well before I decide. Are you using the FPA headers? The Hooker solution is significantly less than the $400 than you state from FPA. Is there a real difference?

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone w/Flowtech Technical Support and they said that they made a mistake. The headers don't fit for exactly the reason I mentioned and that they're updating their part list to reflect the change. They said pull them off and return them to my place of purchase.

Bummer.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I purchased the Flowtech headers through Kragen Auto. They carry Hooker as well. It's an easy exchange (plus some more $$$). Too bad too. Since the Flowtech Headers were $205, while the Hooker Headers are $311.

Now I know why Flowtech was cheap - they didn't fit!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I needed ones that would clear factory clutch linkage/eq bar. The Hookers wouldn't work. I don't know if the FPS'a are worth the extra $ ($400)& $600 creamic coated), but they fit, with no real problems. In fact they said send them back & they'll exchange them.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Cougar Bill,

I noticed that most of the commercial headers fit A/T's only. The extra ~$300 for FPA's probably aren't worth it for my A/T & street application.

I appreciate your help.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yep, Go for the ones that fit a auto. I had a set of Ford ones, but they said "needed minor mod's to fit a manual... Ya, like removing 2 tubes!

Good Luck !

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. I decided on the Hookers mostly for convenience since PartsAmerica.com carries them and it's an easy return on the Flowtechs.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the hooker headers in last weekend. Slid right in! Bolting them to the heads was a PITA. Next time I use studs. I did notice that its still a tight fit around the transmission. The left header clears the transmission mounting boss attached to the floorpan OK, but the exhaust pipe will need to make a sharp turn. The right side is a straight shot to the muffler.

·
11,000 Posts
I have Hookers on my Green GTE. Great product, fit perfectly, no leaks since 1994. They do hang low enough to require the power steering drop bracket which I don't care for. My next set will be FPA's just because you don't have to drop the power steering ram.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Royce. It's interesting that you require the PS drop bracket. My 69 doesn't seem to require it. I'll have to check when I get the entire steering setup in, but it looks like I have enough clearance without it. I'll have to see what the clearance looks like when the wheel is in full turn LT or RT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts