Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone think headers that once were in a 75 with a cleveland fit a 69

The guy who is selling them thinks that they will fit 72-79 Ford (full frame)Torino/Montego.Ranchero/Cougar.

Since the cleveland wasnt produced until 70 most headers state 70 as the frist year that will fit.

The only one that that i have been able to find that say they specficaly fit a 69 are Hooker Competition's.
https://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/headers/header_dsp.d2w/report?prmenbr=361&prrfnbr=8266&partnumb=520-6913&cartype=FORD+/+MERCURY+Mustang+/+Cougar&vendor=FORD&header_type=Competition

What do you guys thaink about the first headers and is anyone running headers on a cleveland in a 69?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
far as i know the 70 ones will fit a 69 as well. im pretty sure that the engine bays are the same. had a 70 parts car and it looked identical to my 69.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could probably use 70 headers fine. Headers from a 75 fullsize car are very likely to not fit into a 69 mid.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm using the Hooker Competition headers in my 69 with a 4v Cleveland and a 4-speed. No p/s no p/b. The only negatives I've discovered beyond the usual clearancing is that since I had lowered my car before I installed the headers so they hang down pretty low. I have to baby it over speed bumps or the collector flange scrapes. And secondly the rod from the z-bar to the fork is very tight to one tube and I had to take the header in and out a couple of times to heat up and dent the tube for clearance. But overall a pretty decent product for the price. I got them from jegs online and after 2nd day air freight and all the price was about $225.00

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MunchE said:
You could probably use 70 headers fine. Headers from a 75 fullsize car are very likely to not fit into a 69 mid.
He says they will fit mid size cars. I dont know what he ment by full frame cars. But your probally still right the engine compatment in a 69-70 is probally differernt than a 71-73 or 75 for that matter.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
All '70 headers will fit a 351C back to '67.

There are some decent cheap headers out there for the Clev. I think I paid less than $99 last time. 2V or 4V?

Dynomax 2V:(Summit Racing) WLK-85063
Dynomax 4V:(again, from Summit) WLK-85064

Hedman has race headers if you want to spend your $$$ on them as do Hooker.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, I thought. Im running an FMX and the Dynomax is C4 only and Hedman in no FMX, no C6. The hooker comp just say "Will not fit standard shift vehicles." Wich is odd seeing as Elimin8or70 is using them with a 4 speed. I quess im back to those for $180 instead of $107 for the others. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Don't fret

The Dynomax catalog is screwed. They fit an FMX just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts