Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around at headers for my cat and every one I find notes that it does not fit with a manual transmission. I assume this is because of the zbar and mechanical linkage and I intend to go with a hydraulic linkage when I switch to the 5 or 6 speed. I assume this will help the clearance issue.

Are there any headers that fit a 1969 Cougar 351W with a manual transmission? Does anyone on the list have headers on a 1969 with a 351W and a 5 or 6 speed? What brands fit and which design is preferred?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You are correct the linkage is what gets you into trouble - I'd decide first if I am going to go to a hydro conversion and if you really want long tube headers. Shorties like JBA's are pretty popular and fit most situations but I think the Hooker super comps will fit if you do the conversion....but cannot say 100%, check with the modern driveline guys, they may know....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the long tubes are going to be necessary, we're building a roller cammed 408W, shooting for 500+hp. I found the Hooker Super Comps, so those should work with the mechanical clutch set up and the hydraulic should be able to be installed around the headers.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have Super Comps on my '69 w/ 351W & TKO. They clear the stock Z-bar okay, but the adjuster nuts on the lower linkage rod are difficult to access.
I also had interference problems with the shock tower reinforcements, and the steering linkage (Pitman and idler arms, specifically.) Apparently these headers were designed for a Mustang with standard shock towers, and for power steering. Quite a bit of grinding, banging and general tweaking was required to get them in w/o interference with other components, but eventually they fit.
Even so, they hang down lower than what I'd like, and the outlets aren't positioned where they should be in relation to the clearance "humps" in the transmission crossmember.
All in all, they were a challenging install, and the collector location issue bugs me. Unfortunately, there weren't any viable alternatives when I did this 10+ years ago. You'd think someone would have come up with something better by now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts