Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running a set of dynomax 1-5/8" primary full length headers in my 73 for about 10 years now. They required some "adjustment" with a ball peen hammer to clear my steering box. I've never liked this.

Does someone make a pair of headers that will fit in this car (a/c, p/s, c6, 2v) that do not require any fitment to clear everything?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've had 2 sets of hedders on my car. Both on a 2v engine and a 4v engine. Same problem. NOW, some people may not like what I am about to say, but it seemed to work fine...I cut a corner off the steering box to give a little more room. But there is a dent in the pipe where it has hit it before.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I haven't bought headers for my car in over 25 years - back when Blackjack, Cyclone, Eagle and the like could be bought for $39-49! And they all fit just fine! In fact, I have a set of brand-new-in-the-box for AlphaCat's 351C-4V that I probably will not end up using if I follow up on my threat to dump the never-been-fired Cleveland and build a roller-cammed 418-inch Windsor!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yeah, my 2v hedders were blackjack and the 4v were an OLD set of Hooker. My only other complaint is if you don't use the gasket that came with them they will leak if you use any other.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Looks like my options are limited (for no mods) unless I run some older designs.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I don't think there are a lot of 73's on the board lately.....couldn't tell you for sure but most people have the best luck with JBA's in fitment. I'm running Hooker super comps on my 69 and I can't believe I was able to leave the ball peen in the drawer! They do rub very slightly on occasion though....nothing a light grind or ding wouldn't fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts