Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
053.jpg 052.jpg 051.jpg
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Summit</st1:City></st1:place> racing offerings that range in price from
<o:p></o:p>
$470 for Hooker (stainless)
$440 for Hedman (ceramic coated)
$260 for Flowtech (ceramic coated)
My goal is to have a set of exhaust headers that look great & don’t discolor much. A “chrome look” is preferred but I’m considering all options.
Am I missing any other options?

Is it worth it to clean up the factory manifolds and use them?
Got any suggestions for what to do with the freshly coated Fox body headers?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
my personal recomendation is to have your stock manifolds machined for flat and have them coated--they emit far less heat into the engine compartment and the bolts stay put longer
doctordesoto

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Try to sell the fox body ones....if you buy long tubes I'd go with Hooker no doubt. If you go short I'd go with JBA's --- either of which is way better quality than Hedman. Not sure about Flowtech other than mufflers which I do like...

If you go long tube be DANG sure to get the drop bracket and have it WELDED on --- anything less = headaches

I like the Doc's idea too....you could have them Jetcoated inside/out - about $180 the last time I checked

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, put the manifolds back on it. Forget the headers. They're largely a waste o money and make a lot more underhood heat.
You might be leaving some ponies on the table, but they make life very easy.

If you just like how headers look, then buy a set and install them. I've had great luck with Hedman products on old Fords that are driven and not just track vehicles.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...I sort of appreciate the stock look as well. If I'm only leaving 10-15 ponies aside for ease of working on it, I may do that.

I can always add headers later (yes, will weld long tube bracket securely, thanks!!!)

Plus I already have the stock units and can sell the Fox body headers.

Next question is who can treat them? Do I get them ceramic coated or are there other coating options I need to consider?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Ok...I sort of appreciate the stock look as well. If I'm only leaving 10-15 ponies aside for ease of working on it, I may do that.

I can always add headers later (yes, will weld long tube bracket securely, thanks!!!)

Plus I already have the stock units and can sell the Fox body headers.

Next question is who can treat them? Do I get them ceramic coated or are there other coating options I need to consider?
Manifolds don't need to be coated. But, there are several cold and hot ways to do it. Eastwood sells several brush or aerosol products that go on cold and either bake or cold cure.

And, of course, you can have them ceramic coated.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you go short I'd go with JBA's
JBA shortys are what are on my 70. Great fit. No PS drop bracket and easily accommodates an AOD.

Only down side is you MAY want to re-tighten the header bolts every COUPLE of YEARS. Oh and they are a little pricey but worth every cent.

Another up side...they sound WAY BETTER than the stock manifolds!

John

·
11,000 Posts
I've used the Tri - Y headers from Tony Branda in a couple of 351W swaps into 67 - 68 Cougar. They fit perfectly. $169 in black, I think they offer HPC coating if you call and ask.

I think the underhood heat thing, if not a myth, is being exaggerated by folks who don't have a clue because they have never done it. I've never noticed it to be a problem even on a 427 equipped Cougar with headers.

Ditto the bolts loosening. If you use good quality stainless steel header bolts with serrated locking feature - Summit Racing sells good ones - they never loosen.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Double E
I sent you a Pm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts