Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There.
I am installing a new engine in our '68, and will be using new headers, with the swap.
The new headers said you must use this power steerring bracket, so I bought it. Sadly, there were no instructions supplied, or pictures.
The one thing I have been able to get from different sources, is it is to re-locate the ram. However, for the life of me, I cant seam to visualize where it goes. Could someone post a pic of this need to re-locate the ram?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, perfect!
Thanks a bunch...now all I need is someone to come over and weld it on up for me...Hmmmm. It sucks not knowing how to weld!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Several years ago I had written several posts very adamantly about this, but I can't find them anymore.
Here are some pics from mine. WELD WELD WELD, not just a tack either. My buddy and I basically made that "super expensive" bracket by welding another piece of iron onto the Hooker-supplied bracket -- then bolted it on and welded all the way around. It is now one with the framerail.

When I first installed it (in '98 with no welding, just the stock bolt) it only took about 100 miles for the bracket to rip out of the frame rail, which also bent the shaft on the ram. My body/fender guy then tack welded it to the frame, that lasted a little bit longer (maybe 500 miles) before again ripping out.

Importantly though, be VERY cautious about the routing of your hoses. Take my experience of one fire (fortunately non-damaging except to the header ceramic coating) and two near-fires. The best solution I've seen is to use "big block hoses", i.e., those used on the 390/427/428 cars (in '68) and then (I think) all '69-'70s. You'll need a bracket that mounts near the lower control arm, it's available repro, I got mine used from Lin at West Coast Classic Cougars.

Good luck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I second that, weld that sucker on there. Mines also broke and had the bracket welded to the frame . No tack welding either.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
To each their own, but I would never weld it when there is a good solution that works that doesn't involve welding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts