Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 351C-2V/C6. I'd Like to install a set of headers.It seems all the header manufacturers make them with one requirement,must be a C4 trans.. Has anyone found a solution to this problem.Thanks Rod

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hooker does make headers for you that do work, just not in the Super Competition variety.

Get their "Competition Headers" instead of the "Super Competition headers".

The only difference is the comps have a slightly smaller primary, are a bit heavier than the super comps and are alot cheaper.

Trust me, these'll do the trick for ya.

Hooker Competition header part # 6913 or (6913-1 if you want 'em ceramic coated)

...and yes, they'll fit your 2V heads and will fit with the C6 in place.

Link to their Competition header page is:

HERE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Header application

Are you sure you gave me the right part #. The hooker listing for #6913 shows 70-71 Falcon thru Montego, no Cougar.
I e-mailed Hooker about #6921 Cougar application, they say C4 only.

Thanks, Rod $

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Absolutely positive and after reviewing their site again, it clearly indicates 6913 as valid for:

70-71 Falcon, Fairlane, Torino, Ranchero, Cyclone, Montego 351C-2v w/C6

67-70 Mustang and Cougar 351C-2v w/C6

Follow this link to see exactly what I'm looking at, and what I went on when my buddy and I did the exact same swap in a 69 Cougar when we transplanted his Cleveland...

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/ES/ESH/Comp.html#Ford

·
Registered
364 Posts
you think YOU sound stupid...

what's a C6???

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Interchangability

If they say that something will fit a 70-71 Torino/Montego, it will fit a 71-73 Mustang/Cougar. They are the same from the firewall forward. Same shock towers, same inner fenders, same crossmembers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
never mind (C6)

i found out all by myself. aren't you motorheads proud of me?

now the question is, do i have a C6 in mine? that was the standard with the 73 4V. um, anyone wanna tell me how i can tell what transmission i have?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts

The thing is, your car did not have a 351C-4V from the factory. Your car was a 351C-2V car. Chances are then is that your trans has not been swapped. 351C-2V cars generally came with FMX transmissions. I say generally because nothing is cast in stone here. I have seen 351C-2V Torinos with a C-6, but every 351C-2V Mustang and Cougar I've seen has had the FMX trans. I haven't seen all of the Mustang/Cougars though! If your door tag is still intact, FMX has the transmission code 'X', and C-6 has the code 'U'. Of course, your tranny might have been changed.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I had 2 73's with 351C/ 2v and they both had the FMX trannys. For what it's worth.....:D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Oldyeller: OOOPS.. No...For some reason I had a '70 on my brain...

I'd phone hooker and talk to them. Everywhere else, they actually indicate that a C6 WON'T work specifically, note 44. On 6921, they make no mention of problems with fitment on a C6...

If you're adventurous, just buy a set of 6921's... If you're not, call them first. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts