Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what headers will work with NO modifications to PS etc? dont care about hooking to stock exhaust as my exhaust system is completey non existant haha so thats a non issue but wanna get the headers for when this motor goes back in.... im missing a manifold anyway so i might as well get what i want. and yes, i know, no gains on a stock mmotor but i like the sound and look and with a 302 its mostly about sound and looks vs actual quickness anyway

·
Registered
156 Posts
None will work with power steering unless you install the adaptor bracket. I tried to insulate the power steering hoses on my 68 a few years ago and still wound up ruining expensive hoses a couple of times. Once the adaptor was installed it was good to go.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I recommend the reproduced 289 Hipo exhaust manifolds. They don't require any modifications and they won't leak next year. They're much like cast iron headers and will actually have some resale value if you ever remove them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smag60, can you post a pic of the adapter bracket and how your headers fit with the steering hoses? with nothing under the hood of my car its hard to picture...

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I did the big block routing underneith, along with a heavy duty drop bracket. No contact issues.
Where are you located Barney?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry the 68 with headers is long gone. I have another 68 and plan to install headers, however I will be installing a different steering box. I haven't decided if it will be rack & pinion or a new power steering box.

The bracket lowers the mounting point of the ram unit and gives the hoses room to clear the headers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I assume that the 68 is the same as the 67, so remember that by putting in that steering bracket also makes for less left turn!! Right turn is still good. One reason I haven't gone to headers was my daughters car had the headers and turning to the left has almost a 1/2 turn (of the steering wheel) less than the right. Caught me off guard several times.!! So no headers for me and I'm about ready to dump the flowmasters and go back to the cherry bombs!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the big block routing underneith, along with a heavy duty drop bracket. No contact issues.
Where are you located Barney?
mansfield.....texas...not too far from ya...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If I get a chance tomorrow I could take a picture of my headers on the drivers side and possibly the power ram extension welded down below. I have a J Code and the headers and extension were put in back in 1975.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Here are some shots

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool. thanks!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use these headers http://www.fordpowertrain.com/347step.htm currently on my 68 cougar. I also used 69 302/351 Cougar/Mustang power steering hoses. I did not need the drop bracket either, but that may be attributed to the world products junior heads that have raised exhaust ports. I have since installed a borgeson power steering box to eliminate the ford power steering.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recommend the reproduced 289 Hipo exhaust manifolds. They don't require any modifications and they won't leak next year. They're much like cast iron headers and will actually have some resale value if you ever remove them.

So you are saying that this manifold is a straight bolt-on replacement to the existing stock H-pipe? Same length and angle and everything? That would be really nice for my solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts