Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '67 std is due for new exhaust. Car is equipped with a 289 4V w/mild cam & C-4 trans. The headers on the car are well past their prime (numerous leaks) and the glasspack mufflers are about to fall from their rusted exhaust moorings (the whole system was put on the car about 25 years ago). I love the sound of the glasspacks and will likely just replace them. Should I stick with a standard length header or would shorty headers be a better option? Would this make any difference at all?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Kinda depends on what you want Don....shorties will make your life easier because you don't have to use the drop bracket for P/S if you have it. Long tubes may give you a bit more torque in the upper band if you have a motor that develops/utilizes it.......or plan to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I believe it would all depend on your price range... If it's a show car that will likely be in prestigious shows I wouldn't slap on $120 Hedman headers. If its a daily driver and ceramic coated or chrome headers aren't necessary, save your money. In the end though, you will get what you pay for as far as longevity, quality and performance are concerned. If it were me, I'd order the headers that match the heads (I bought my 67 with a 289 with Windsor Jr. Heads and it had the wrong headers which I had to replace due to obvious leaks) and butt it up to 2 and half inch exhaust with at least an H-pipe followed by your glass packs or preference of muffler.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. For a moment there I thought I was asking an all too stupid question...

Although I've owner this car for nearly eight years, I know very little about its performance aspects overall (it's FAST!). I now recall that this 289 has cylinder heads from a 302 (I'll have to dig out the paperwork that is currently in storage). The guy two owners before me was actually taking this car to the track, so any performance upgrades were done by him and those were done in the mid 80's (somewhere in that paperwork are dyno test results and some track data).

Longevity and cost are two criteria that will weigh in the heaviest for this project. I imagine I will end up nearly duplicating what's presently on the car just for the sake of easier replacement. I realize cost will go up with better quality equipment, so I was hoping for suggestions that would provide the best "bang for the buck".

Cougars forever!
Dan

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'll be strait with ya 67catman...bang for the buck means you won't be replacing or redoing your exhaust in the future. The way the economy is going prices are more than likely just going to go up so buy good, solid products that will last. If I was in your shoes, I would buy a long tube header, probably comp hooker or even super comp hooker, thats ceramic or jet coated. I've had bought the $120 black painted headers that were rust free for maybe a year tops. My car was also a daily driver too so I guess that is to be figured in. It sounds like your 302 has some umph behind it so I would invest in the exhaust. A good, solid exhaust from the engine back will prob run $800 to a $1000. 4 to 6 hundred for the headers and 3 to 4 for the H-pipe and continuing exhaust to your glass packs. Depends on the diameter which i assume you'll continue with what you currently have. Whether you use stainless or not will also be a money factor. You may find cheaper routes via already fabbed kits from jegs or wherever. I had mine made so that may seem why it was a bit costly. However that 289 sounded like no other... Good luck and let that motor breathe!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe "bang for the buck" was the wrong term to use here. I guess I'm looking for something more along the lines of higher "price-performance ratio". I'm not afraid to spend some money for this particular replacement. There's that point where spending more money doesn't get you that much more in terms of value. Usually this point falls mid-range to upper mid-range on the pricing scale. After cxrawling around underneath the car this past weekend, it is clear that the exhaust needs some serious attention!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts