Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace headers on a 71 XR7. The car now has a 302 in it. I dont think these cars originally came with 302s so headers arent made for this. I was wondering if I could get some headers for a 71 Mustang because they did come with 302s. Guessing maybe since the cars are basically alike that these may be exactly what I need. Just looking for input. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YES - you need to be careful of what trans it has if you use full length headers - because the clutch stuff gets in the way and you need headers designed to work around that. Otherwise you can just go to a shorty header.....which is best for street use anyway. (Kinda wishing I went that route!)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe a 302 and a 289 are exactly the same on the outside. I could be wrong but you could look at cylinder heads to see if they fit both (block outside dimensionally is same)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My issue is right where the collector is, it actually sits on my trans fluid pan. I used a wench and a tree and pulled it out a great deal. Had to replace exhaust header gasket, but its barely touching my pan now. think maybe another wench job and I'll be sitting right

1 - 4 of 4 Posts