Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to start a story thread about the head shaking things we all have seen as it relates to cougars.
For example:
When I was in high school (80's), a local dirt tracker was running a 70 cougar like mine. I needed some pieces of trim, so I just knocked on his door. No one answered, so I walked around back since I heard some commotion. There sat the 70. All beat up from dirt tracking. No trim to be had. And beside it was a 71-73 car. He was gutting the interior. I was really into resto stuff then and looked at the vin. It was a 351 cobra jet car with a manual trans. I introduced myself and asked him naively if he was pulling it apart to do a "frame off" (funny term for a unibody resto), and he replied "No." "I'm gonna send that one, (pointing at the seventy) to the junkyard and run this one on the dirt track down in York (SC). "
"Why?" I asked. "This is a rare car."
"Hell son, This thing'll run like a raped date."
I knew right then I was dealing with a class act and turned to leave. Next year, I saw the car in a junkyard all smashed up, less the engine and trans.
And I shook my head.
I'm as big a hot rodder as the next guy. And the resto scene in the eighties really left a sour taste in my mouth for the concours scene. (Admit it! It got out of hand.) And meeting Carroll Shelby at the Charlotte Shelby show in '86 (?) really was a big deal for me. So was meeting the pettys, Bud Moore, Awesome Bill, Dale Earnhardt, getting to see the inside of the Holman/Moody building, and hanging out with guys who raced T-bolts back in the sixties. So, I'm more racer than "ok" stamp, concours, by the book type.
But, you have to draw the line somewhere.
I'm still shaking my head about that car. :(

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
:realmad: All I got to say is that I hate those kind of people and it makes me sick what some people do to cars. There is a 50's car and a 30's truck back in the woods here full of bullet holes otherwise they are dent and pretty much rust free believe it or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts