Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when the car is running the head light doors stay down when i trun the car off they will not stay down anything will help thanks justin

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum issue. Could be the way the lines are routed perhaps? I am not expert on the way the hideaway head lights work at all. Perhaps give the guys over at West Coast Classic Cougar a call.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
First check (assuming all your hoses and vacuum motor in the grille area are good), remove the check valve at the firewall by the brake booster and blow into and suck on the side with one nipple on it. You should only be able to move air one way. If you can move it both ways, you need a new check valve.

·
Registered
437 Posts
blow into and suck on the side with one nipple on it.

Those ^^^are words to live by right there. Don't all hideaways open after some time without the car being driven due to natural leakage of air?

·
Registered
389 Posts
they shouldnt have a "natural" leakage.... i know the owners manual in mine says they might but i wouldnt put up with it. they shouldnt.

whats funny, is i am no where near testing mine but my headlights have been closed for years...and theres no motor in the car hahaha if mine were to leak due to leakage of air they should have opened years ago :) but u can manually move them easily enough...im probally going ot convert to electric anyway once i get it up and running and find out how big of a mess it is...

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
my headlights have been closed for years
67/68 headlight covers do not work the same way as 69/70. The 69/70 system uses a single motor with a rod connecting the headlight covers. I believe there is a safety spring that opens them up when there is a loss of vacuum to the system (ie bad check valve or vacuum leak). The 67/68 system has a motor for each headlight cover and does not have this safety feature.

BTW, I'm voting for a bad check valve since they open right when you turn off the engine.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I just fixed this problem on my E. Replaced both the check valve (old one was bad) and also the vacuum tank (canister under the drivers front fender just ahead of the wheel). The old tank leaked like a sieve when I did a pressure test in a barrel of water.
Now headlight doors will open and close well after the car is shut off. And do not stay open.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes, but you need to jack up the left front of the car so the tank will clear the front wheel on removal. It's attached with 4 bolts that will be hard to see because they're likely coated with dirt or underspray goop.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I believe there is a safety spring that opens them up when there is a loss of vacuum to the system (ie bad check valve or vacuum leak). The 67/68 system has a motor for each headlight cover and does not have this safety feature.
Actually, they do. If the headlamp motor is good and the internal spring is not broken, the cover will open if there is a loss of vacuum.

·
Registered
202 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts