right now with the lights off the doors go down
too far and do not match up with the rest of
the grill.

thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
There are two "stops" behind the doors.. one for open position and one for the closed postion. The closed position stop rests on the back of the headlight assembly

hope this helps

Don

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same problem. One of the clips that's typically on the door was broken off. There is a hole near the front of the door that is connected to the part of the door that doesn't swing open. Any of that make sense? ...if looking at the front of your car and dealing with the left headlight door, on the right side of the door where it swings open there is a hole near the bottom of that area. I placed a bolt there just long enough to serve as the stopper and now both my headlights match.

Hope this helps.

Sly

·
Registered
96 Posts
headlight doors

The problem is that Mercury put a bolt that is too short and doesn't stop the doors in time. Randy Goodling sells replacement bolts with a hex head and are about 1/4" longer. Once you put them in (and that's not that easy), run the headlights up and down several times while adjusting the bolt with a socket.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
What I did with mine is simply reverse the stops .For some reason the open stops were longer than the closed stops. So I put the open stops in the closed position and the closed stops in the open stop position. Actually it wasn't all that easy it is doable

Don:D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
So, THATS where the headlights are, was wondering about that.
:D

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Here's what I did

I made bump stops out of a long bolt. I took it and threaded it through the one of the holes for the screw that holds the headlight cover plate on. It has a shoulder and about 1 inch of thread so I put 2 nuts on either side and adjusted it out until it was dead nuts. I went an extra step and painted it semi-gloss black. Look at the alignment, pretty good? It doesn't get any better.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
how 'bout a pic of the bolt setup:1poke:

Don

BTW they do look good:D

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
OK twist my arm

Well TexRep,
This is a closely guarded top secret design of which I have several patents. Against the advice of my extensive team of lawyers and and stunt monkeys. I have attached pics.
No reproduction of this system can be made without my expressed written permission. Just Kidding..
Here you go 2 pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
One more Close up

Look at the top pic real close, it's hard to see, that's the point. Here is the close up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Who?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Your secret is safe with me LOL

Very ingenuis!!

Don

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone!

I made two rubber stops for my doors.
Looks 100% better, not as nice as the pictures
that were sent. Wish my bumper was that sweet!!

Thanks again,

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts