Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting to probe motors here is the problem.. They open ok with 180 degree but when I touch the wire that should close them It want to make another 180 degree pass the same direction making it 360 rotation. Is this how it should work? because It justs wants to push the grills out. If the motor went 180 up and back 180 to the start point would solve my problem..I dont think its the rod adjustment from the motor to the cover. Any one had this problem with there conversion? Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if i understand your question correctly , your problem is the output of the probe assy has too much stroke---on the madza miata motors , you must remove the pivot ball from the output arm and redrill the hole @ exactly 1.250 inches from the arm mount hole---you will find the orig hole and the new hole will intersect but it works just fine---this is easier on a bridgeport type mill than a drill press
they should be wired with 12volts all the time for the parking mode--when you energize them with the light switch , they open and when the switch goes off ,they park themselves and shut off--use a std automotie relay to actuate them---you may need a relay for each door---i did
doctordesoto

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
As I understood it -There are 4 wires into the retractors: +12V, Up, Down & Ground. If you remove the down signal, the headlights will go up & stay up if you ground the up line, and removing the up signal will allow the headlights to go down when you ground the down line, but not come up. If you apply one without removing the other (say you ground circuit 266 (headlight retractor test point) without any other changes), the retractors will just go up & down contuously, until you remove one signal or the other.
The head lights will come on irrespective of the retractor signals.

Clean - nice install here:
http://www.rccinnovations.com/Relays.php

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
As I recall the Probe motors do not reverse - they move 180° per cycle for a full 360°.
Lights on = 180° (CW) puts the arm "up" to full stroke; lights off = 180° (CW) putting the arm back "down" and completing the circle.
What you are describing is a problem with the arm length, as doctordesoto explained.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
these motors are like a wiper motor---they self cancel . there is 12 volts to the park circut and a ground all the time . when the lights are turned on (signal from the headlight switch side of the dimmer switch ),the motor rotates 180 deg--when the lights go off the self cacel rotates the additional 180deg and disconnects itself from the 12 volt source as to not kill the battery---there should not be any external switching of the 12 volt park circut or the ground circut---some motors have an extra wire to light up a dash light showing the doors are open---the problem i had was that one motor is slightly slower than the other and the park system was feeding a power signal to the opposite door---you must remove the battery cable to fix---wirig two relays ( one for each door ) solved the issue
doctordesoto

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i understand your question correctly , your problem is the output of the probe assy has too much stroke---on the madza miata motors , you must remove the pivot ball from the output arm and redrill the hole @ exactly 1.250 inches from the arm mount hole---you will find the orig hole and the new hole will intersect but it works just fine---this is easier on a bridgeport type mill than a drill press
they should be wired with 12volts all the time for the parking mode--when you energize them with the light switch , they open and when the switch goes off ,they park themselves and shut off--use a std automotie relay to actuate them---you may need a relay for each door---i did
doctordesoto
I think this maybe the problem I did leave the the probe arm with ball on my rods I made. I will redo them today and let you all know If it worked. Thanks for the replys all

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I been thinking about the ball the setup I made used the ball and part of the probe arm then welded a nut to it and used the shaft from some old vac headlight pods and threaded it so I have about 1/2 inch adjustment.

Re: Head light conversion problems

As I recall the Probe motors do not reverse - they move 180° per cycle for a full 360°.
Lights on = 180° (CW) puts the arm "up" to full stroke; lights off = 180° (CW) putting the arm back "down" and completing the circle.
What you are describing is a problem with the arm length, as doctordesoto explained.

Rocketman If they dont reverse and the cycle is complete at 360 then it would have to be in the rod length Its hard to tell tho cant see nothing after the door is open lol I think you guys are correct must be the rods I made starting to think I didnt leave enough adjustment to make it shorter just longer Im work on some new rods today. Thanks again

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys big help as always :) It was the adjustment on rods I made Still some problems they open only about 90% of the way and close great..I still need to wire up every thing and bolt it all back up but I think Its going to work great.

Can I tap in to the org wiring some place to power them up up or do I need to run something to the head light switch?

I really would like to get the relay setup from Rocketman but dont have the funs for that at this time. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if you don't have enough stroke then your new pivot point or stroke is too short---i'm pretty sure the majic # is 1.25 from c/l making 2.5 inches of stroke---once you get the correct stroke , then by adjusting the linkage length , you can establish the closed position when parked---the open pos s/b when the lower o/s door radius lines up with the upper grill radius
overstroking the doors like the vac pods do is what tears up the pivots and all the grill pieces---stock vac pods have over 4" of stroke
doctordesoto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts