Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to identify a set of heads that I am interested in buying. The heads have the casting# D3ZE-AA. Supposedly came off of a 1973 Mustang 351C CJ motor. Could someone please help me to identify these heads? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
They should be 1973 351 4V or CJ heads. The 73 have the same Valves as a 2V head (2.05 & 1.659) but the bug ports. Look on the front corner by the valve cover for a 4. This indicates a 4V 351C head. I forget but there is another marking with the 4 that indicate an open chamber head. This set will be the open chamber head. I have sole 2 sets of this head needing rebuild I got $150 for one set and the other was a special deal to a friend dirt cheep is all I will say. Neal.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
D3ZZ-AA heads

Bones,

That casting number you gave doesn't agree with anything in my HP Books How to Rebuild Your Ford V8 Engines, that covers both the 335 series (Cleveland) and 385 series (429/460), but that isn't too surprising. I have found numerous errors in this book. Books have been known to be wrong before and this is just another example!

Since the book has already been proven wrong (they say the D3ZE-AA heads doesn't exist), do you trust anything else they would say about the heads? What is the chamber volume of the chambers? They list all 351C-2Vs at 76.2, the early 4Vs at 62.8, the Boss 4Vs at 66.1 and the later 4Vs at 75.4. The 351M/400 heads are all 78.4 according to the book. Now, do you hazzard a guess as to what our D3ZE-AA heads are? I've never bothered to actually check them!

The heads on AlphaCat (original to the car) are also the D3ZE-AA casting. It is an original 1973 'Q'-code 351C-4V. OK, so based on what my car says, those heads you're looking at are 351C-4V heads that are open chamber and small valves. The book also lists valve size for all 4V heads at 2.19/1.71, but I can tell you that all 1973 or 1974 4V heads I have ever seen are of the smaller 2V valve size but still are 4V port size. That would make yours 2.04/1.66. At least that's what AlphaCat's are!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Cougrrcj

Cougrrcj

Would that be the book by Tom Munroe, the one I have just bought [at great expense], hmmm, seems like if I have a problem I will have to check with you first.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts