Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making progress towards swapping out my stock cast iron heads, for the Edelbrock ones I've had now for three years! Any experience with better or not better brands of head gaskets? Also, as the motor has an overbore, do I need .030 over head gaskets?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I've always used Fel-Pro gaskets. Never had a problem with them when installed correctly.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
SBF gasket bore is 4.100, so no, you do not need 'oversize' gaskets. I always use Fel-pro Teflon-coated Perma-torque gaskets...

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Copied/pasted from the Edelbrock site.

1. Engines with low or stock compression ratios (8-10:1), stock size head bolts (7/16"), and applications where the cylinder head is being used
as a stock replacement or a performance upgrade with the stock piston volume, without nitrous or forced induction (blowers or turbos) - use
Edelbrock head gasket #7313 or Fel-Pro Head Gasket, #9333-PT1.
2. Medium performance engines, 10-12:1 compression ratio, increased pre-load cylinder head fasteners (7/16" stud or ½" head bolts or studs),
not recommended with nitrous or forced induction - Edelbrock head gasket #7313 or Fel-Pro Head Gasket, #1011-2.
3. Highest performance racing engines. 12:1 and above compression ratio, ½" cylinder head fasteners designed for the highest pre-load,
engines using nitrous or forced induction - Fel-Pro Head Gasket #1006 Locwire. NOTE: This gasket will require a groove to be cut in the
deck surface of the cylinder head by a competent machine shop to Fel-Pro specifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts