Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any sure way to tell with out taking the heads off? This is about the only thing I could find from another forum.

The motor will run hot with the gaskets installed backwards due to restricted coolant flow.

But, you can tell if the gaskets are installed correctly without pulling the heads.There will be a small square corner of the head gasket sticking out just in front of the lower front head bolt if they are installed correctly.If installed wrong there won't be any little "tab" of the gasket sticking out.If you see the tab at the rear lower head bolt the gasket is installed wrong.All the small block Ford gaskets I have ever seen are like this.The rear lower bolt area has a radius on the gasket and the front has this square tab.Check out a gasket and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
hmmm - interesting....I wonder if it's brand dependant or not? I'll have to take a look at my spare set if I can find them....seems to me the only way to tell was to have the thing either say top (or front) on it or actually looking that you aren't cutting off the rear water passage. I think mine were DG brand last time..

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its running hot I took off the ele pump and fan went back factory set up removed the stat didnt help either. The gaskets did say front but my son felt left out on the build so I let him do the heads. But this is my last option unless the intake gaskets could be wrong only one way to know for sure I guess blah.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - damn symetrical design is very easy to get them flipped without catching it cause everything lines up and looks right even bassackwards....

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Its not the head gaskets the steam holes go in the front and water in the rear correct? I have looked at everything now maybe the cam is to much making it run hot?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Nahh, gotta be something not flowing well or holding pressure then....but what? Get it back together and see about running a pressure tester on it....see how long it will hold 15-16 lbs. then start from scratch again - feels like chasing your tail I know, but some how it's remaining elusive..? Maybe you'll get lucky and seal it up where it was loosing pressure this time through!..? Crazier things have happened.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Any sure way to tell with out taking the heads off? This is about the only thing I could find from another forum.

The motor will run hot with the gaskets installed backwards due to restricted coolant flow.

But, you can tell if the gaskets are installed correctly without pulling the heads.There will be a small square corner of the head gasket sticking out just in front of the lower front head bolt if they are installed correctly.If installed wrong there won't be any little "tab" of the gasket sticking out.If you see the tab at the rear lower head bolt the gasket is installed wrong.All the small block Ford gaskets I have ever seen are like this.The rear lower bolt area has a radius on the gasket and the front has this square tab.Check out a gasket and you will see what I mean.
I am doing a rebuild now and noticed the tab forward. No tab in rear. gasket.jpg

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Whatever happened to putting "FRONT" towards the front...?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Elimin8r, Thats correct as the post said from the other forum..So where do I go from here my rad dont have but 2k on it at the most but did alot of sitting around Im look it over today maybe have it boiled.Other then over heating Im pretty happy with it runs real strong and sounds great. Oh and the new msd dizzy I bought already crapped out on me never had this much bad luck I will get it to run or I will give new meaning to crazy bout a mercury:bloated:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Dang, those MSD's are usually rock solid.....I'm surprised it gave you trouble. There was a guy on here a while back chasing his tail on overheating with all new stuff and it ended up being his "new" radiator....which didn't make sense I thought? If it was plugged up or leaking I could see that - maybe it's worth a shot at boiling it out - is this a stock one or an aluminum one? Is your fan one of those flex fans? That could be your trouble too - a good old stock fan blade performs much better fro a street driven car. What about borrowing one as a tester? Think you could find something that would work temporarily to see if it helps...?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from summit replaced the MSD dis and got new head gaskets ect. Its alum rad few years old no miles really but I really only ran water then sets empty 5 months so hard to tell. I think Im get it boiled rebuild the motor I can see no reason it should run hot and if it does going to be a pontiac year:evil: nah I never give up it will run and damn good.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just tossing stuff out there...

Shroud is in place, timing is good, lower spring is in the hose so it does not compress...

If you run the heat full blast when it overheats, does that bring the temp back down?

If so, I would think it's a radiator issue and I'd address the radiator next.

If it makes no difference, then I think there's no circulation and I'd go after the water pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts