Mercury Cougar Owners banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not in Ian's driveway yet? It's so cool it needs to be rescued (XRS indeed)

I would buy it and hold it for him, but I keep getting flashbacks looking at those stripes.

Something between ski bunny outfits and 'Too Close for Comfort' episodes:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hey does anyone know if Ian every found and or got the car? I just got back from taking my mother in law to Des Moines and saw it at a dealership on NW 2nd Avenue. You can't miss that paint job, in fact it caught my eye even though it was parked behind 2 rows of cars.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
This car just turned up again! I see a guy on FB Patrick Dorrian Jr is the new owner...... sound like he's planning to change it from it's current paint scheme. (Can't say I blame him! lol)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
This car just turned up again! I see a guy on FB Patrick Dorrian Jr is the new owner...... sound like he's planning to change it from it's current paint scheme. (Can't say I blame him! lol)
Arguably, the majority of the value and interest in the car is in the vintage paint scheme. Remove the wild stripes and you have a '69 Eliminator Clone. Remove the scoop and rear spoiler and you have a comp orange '69 Standard Cougar. As it sits right now, at any car show it goes to, it is a messenger from another time. People will see it and be amazed, alarmed, or revolted! But it will evoke a reaction and draw attention and conversation as a result.
If you strip it all away then what you have left is an orange '69 Cougar. People will still say "oh I used to have a Cougar" or even "nice Charger", and then walk away and forget all about it. But a striped hippy street machine? That will stick in people's memory for years afterwards. Any time they see another Cougar they'll be like "do you remember that one we saw with the crazy stripes? Wow!". And people will be like "Oh yeah, I've seen that one too! That is ugly as sin!".

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Mike, you are right on the money with your comments!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Completely agree with Mike. I saw the new owner on facebook talking about how he was going to redo it. His car, wish he would have bought something else to restore.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Up for sale again...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mercury.Cougar.1969.1970/permalink/2290426264360249/

June 2019Posted on FB by Patrick Dorrian Jr. (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002683694987)

1969 cougar
$7,000
1969 Mercury Cougar 351 Windsor- It's A Pretty Clean Car & Nice Ride. I Hate To See It Go, But Need It Gone. Specs. are: 351 Windsor Engine, RWD, Automatic- The Speedometer Has Most Likely Been Rolled Over At Least Once, Maybe Twice. Contact Info. Is Provided Below. Come On In For A Test Drive & Walk-Ins Are Always Welcome! Feel Free To Call If You Have Any Questions- Ask For Patrick.
4469 NW 2nd St.
Des Moines, IA 50313
House Of Cars/ Ask For Patrick
#(515) 410-1133

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hey guys thanks to your efforts I have been in contact with the seller and unfortunately it has been technically sold to a fella in Washington state. My fault for not being more diligent and seeing the ad when it first popped up. The car is still physically in Des Moines and I'm hopeful that Patrick (the seller) can at the very least put me in contact with the buyer. Maybe I can negotiate a deal to keep it from going to the west coast. But for now all I can do is cross my fingers and wait.

I cant say enough good things about this forum and its members. You guys are truly a great group and with any luck I'll be able to add another "Stray Cat" to your membership ranks.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hey guys thanks to your efforts I have been in contact with the seller and unfortunately it has been technically sold to a fella in Washington state. My fault for not being more diligent and seeing the ad when it first popped up. The car is still physically in Des Moines and I'm hopeful that Patrick (the seller) can at the very least put me in contact with the buyer. Maybe I can negotiate a deal to keep it from going to the west coast. But for now all I can do is cross my fingers and wait.

I cant say enough good things about this forum and its members. You guys are truly a great group and with any luck I'll be able to add another "Stray Cat" to your membership ranks.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Hey Ian,

I understand from Mike Banks that you were able to prevail and buy the car?! Mike contacted me on FB (I am not on here much anymore) and I looked up the email in your profile and provided it. We (Mike and I) are thrilled if you indeed have made a deal! Best of luck and keep us posted on things.

Regards,

Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
It is true. I have the car in my possession thanks to that email. You guys are awesome! Once getting the car home I enjoyed it for the fathers day weekend but 25 years have not been kind to it so it's currently in storage while I stockpile funds to return her to her former glory. This car means the world to me and I couldn't have found it without you guys. Thank you so so so much!

Attachments

61 - 75 of 75 Posts