Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Im looking for a certain cougar in particular. It was my Grandfathers and was sold in or around 96 in the midwest region. I last saw it in the far south suburbs of Chicago but have heard that it was sold to a collector in Indiana.

It is a very distinct car and love it or hate it you probably wont forget seeing it. Im hoping you guys can reunite me with a car from my childhood.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Wow, Your Grandfather liked colors. I hope you find it. Please tell us more about it. Did he race it? Is it an eliminator? 428 or maybe a Boss 302? Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
I've never seen it, but will now never forget it!

·
Registered
784 Posts
This car certainly looks like an inspiration for the Hot Wheels Eliminator...good luck with finding the car. Lord knows I searched for a long long time to find mine!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, Your Grandfather liked colors. I hope you find it. Please tell us more about it. Did he race it? Is it an eliminator? 428 or maybe a Boss 302? Good luck with your quest.
I don't know much of the details because i was 12-14 when it was around. I don't have a VIN or any tag info on it but it was definitely a small block car. I also have to guess it was an eliminator judging by the body panels but i guess a scoop, wheels, and wing can be added to any car right? Black leather interior, buckets and a console, automatic trans and sounded like the four horsemen were coming for you when you mashed the loud pedal!

My grandfather didn't race it... legally anyway. He was a collector and this was one of 4 cars that got passed around after he died. As a kid i daydreamed about it being my first car HA! We took it to a few car shows and i washed it whenever they would let me near it.

Im a car nut now in part because of this car and the inspiration it was to me. If its not for sale id just like to know its whereabouts and that its being taken care of.

Thanks again

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Suddenly have the urge to throw on a Grateful Dead disc....is there a Hotwheels car like that? Something about it does look familiar somehow - or maybe it's because there is a mopar running around here with a paint scheme no to far from this

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
That thing's neat. The whole retro paintjob scene and such is HUGE right now. If you find it and it still looks the same, you'll steal every cruise night you take it to.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Hello Ian and welcome to the Forum. I recall this 69 Stray Cat being at one of the pre-2000 Car Craft Nat's in Duquoin, IL... but, haven't seen it since. If this Cougar does happen to be in Indiana; unfortunately don't know the owner. Hope you can run her down, and this Forum is a good starting point. Best of luck to You with your search.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had always wanted to track it down but didn't have anything to go on until my dad pulled this pictures out. A paint job aint much but its something. Wish i had the VIN, this would be so much easier.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here's a picture of the Hot Wheels car I'm referring to...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Ian and welcome to the Forum. I recall this 69 Stray Cat being at one of the pre-2000 Car Craft Nat's in Duquoin, IL... but, haven't seen it since. If this Cougar does happen to be in Indiana; unfortunately don't know the owner. Hope you can run her down, and this Forum is a good starting point. Best of luck to You with your search.
I have Googled and Binged 1998 CC Nats to try to find a glimpse of it to no avail. Think the chamber of commerce or the fair grounds might keep the registries?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
No but Car Craft or "Special Events Inc. which was the organization promoting those shows along with the Hot Rod Power Tour back in the late 90s might.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
New member here. Im looking for a certain cougar in particular. It was my Grandfathers and was sold in or around 96 in the midwest region. I last saw it in the far south suburbs of Chicago but have heard that it was sold to a collector in Indiana.

It is a very distinct car and love it or hate it you probably wont forget seeing it. Im hoping you guys can reunite me with a car from my childhood.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian
I wonder if the rear mounted antenna is original and how many 69's had it. That could make it easier to track down.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Just noticed single exhaust pipe, so likely not an Eliminator.
Except that it is on the wrong side for a factory single exhaust. May be, may not be an Eliminator. I hope Ian finds it.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Cool car and I like the name. I just bet it gets found. Someone has got to remember that paint job!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think the rear mount power antenna is aftermarket.

I wonder if the rear mounted antenna is original and how many 69's had it. That could make it easier to track down.

·
Registered
140 Posts
what suburb was it in that might help if it was at Dukes Frosted Mug or somewhere else the usual old car hop hangouts on the southside.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts