Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all well last night i was driving the cougar and i smelt coolant i pulled over and it was pouring out from the bottom i thought it was the bottom water hose so i got it home and in the morning replaced it went to fill the radiator and after about thirty seconds of filling the radiator with the engine of it just came pouring out of the bottom could this possible be the weep hole on the water pump it looks like it was pouring from top of the harmonic balancer i think that is what it is called you no the thing with the timing marks on thanks for any input also when i was filling the radiator the engine was of and had not been ran all night

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
It could be the water pump. Take off the fan and water pump pullie. That way you can put water in and watch for were it is coming out of.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with bacatt, I think your water pump has bit the dust.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
x3... Betcha a bucket -o- donuts the bearing popped out due to the incresingly bad rebuild/Chinese junk the box stores push on us these days! Eyeball the replacement one VERY close when you get it. Be sure the bearing surfaces where it's pressed in are truely flat/square/NO GAPS! I just replaced one for a friend of mine and it took 3 tries to get one that looked like it was solid before I left. (that one was an aluminum housing though)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts