Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a 68 x code with a 289, think trans is a c4. Is it worth it to put a 390 and c6 back into the car. Will this increase the cars value? The car runs and drives great.

-I have a 390&c6 pulled from 68 galaxie years ago. is a 2v. Don't know if the 390 is still any good. I have a set of 14 bolt heads. Have the motor mounts, and frame stands, but i need the metal plate in between.

-I have the c6 cross member for the cougar. Is there a difference in c6 from small car to big cars, was hoping to reuse it.

i know the x code cats get treated like stepchildren in value.
cat has disc brakes, a/c, console, non xr7, 9in, has the big block p/s hoses, a/c shield, green on green with vinyl top.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If what you have is doing the job for you, then leave it be, If you don't have the correct engine, it will not likley increase the value.
If you do install the 390, you can buy the metal plate fron NPD.
all C6 are the same size, the only differance is in the housing where it bolts to the engine. The trans. must be for the engine that it as to be mounted to.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Linkage is different on C6 transmissions floor shift to column shift.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but I think adding the 390/C6 back to the car would add some value. You can check the date codes of the 390 and compare them to the build date of your car. Might be way off but might be closer than you think? I would at least check that out and go from there. You can always drive the car and enjoy as is while collecting parts and getting the 390/C6 checked out and ready for the car. And do the swap down the road a bit. X code is still a big block car no matter what. FE's can get expensive but if you have a good engine core to start with it can be done with a modest budget.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts