Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, I'd like to talk to you about it, particularly about fabricating and attaching missing mounting pins.

·
11,000 Posts
I have restored a few but did not ever try to replace the studs. There is an emblem adhesive available at auto paint stores that works great for reattaching the quarter emblem.

The outer portion can be rechromed, find one that is pit free as pot metal repair can be expensive.

The plastic inserts restore easily using bumper chrome paint for the letters and cat. I used a syringe to fill the recess. Let it dry thoroughly then paint the black part. The outer face can be polished using auto paint compound and soft cloth.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royce Peterson said:
I have restored a few but did not ever try to replace the studs. There is an emblem adhesive available at auto paint stores that works great for reattaching the quarter emblem.

The outer portion can be rechromed, find one that is pit free as pot metal repair can be expensive.

The plastic inserts restore easily using bumper chrome paint for the letters and cat. I used a syringe to fill the recess. Let it dry thoroughly then paint the black part. The outer face can be polished using auto paint compound and soft cloth.
You see how I think, Royce... I wanted to recreate the original mounting, and now you have me thinking that I should grind off the remaining pins! The quarter panel holes were filled in during the last repaint, and I don't really want to open those up again unless I'm opening all four on each side.

Well, I have four frames total, two with two pins, two with one pin. All are pit-free, and Maybe I should just grind off the two single ones? Use the two best plastic inserts and have a go.

·
11,000 Posts
I would leave the remaining pin(s) and use that to accurately locate the emblem and add support. You ought to be able to back drill through the filler from inside the trunk.

·
11,000 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts