Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1poke: Anyone...

:1zhelp: I am considering doing a rear disc conversion for my '67, has anyone performed this swap? It is my understanding that I can use the complete rear from a Granada? Is this true? If so, I could find a Granada with a 9" rear w/discs to convert, right? I know that there are manufactured kits out there but I'm on a limited budget. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
B0nes, I might disagree with one item listed in the link you provided and that is the with of the Versailles rear.

I had one at one time and had intended on using it in one of my dirt track modifieds and it was 58 1/2" from hub to hub. I needed a 60" track and I know that the 69-70 Mustang and Cougar is 60". I know that the 67-68 Mustang and Cougar is a little bit narrower, like 59" if I remember right. Measure your rearend and double check for me. I do know the Versailles rear will be very close to the with you need.

If you dont need the emergency brakes a rear disk swap is easy to do. I think we used Taurus front rotors for the rears with some weld on brackets for usings GM calipers. Thats a cheap, easy way to do it if you dont need emergency brakes.

Really though I myself think the rear disks are somewhat overrated for a cruiser, although a race car is another story.mm

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're right Mark. I also agree with you about cruiser's not really needing disc's on all four corners. I plan on pushing close to 400hp out of my Coug and would like to have a little more than drums to help me stop. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to try and run disc's on all four corners. I'm trying to get an idea of what I am looking at price wise so I can decide if the swap is a realistic/serious option.

I saw this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1817220819

Could you explain this to me a little better Mark (and give your opinion), or anyone else for that matter, since you have some experience with this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
B0nes, Those brackets are very similar to what I was talking about although the one I used were weld on so these would be eaiser to install. I see nothing wrong with them at all. The only thing I dont understand is he says they use a "big" Lincoln rotor and to me that means a 5" bolt circle for the wheels. But yes the rotors could be redrilled.

The other thing to consider is the big rotor and the very large caliper may give trouble with 14" wheels.

I would e-mail the seller and ask a few of these questions to him. mm

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
One of the delmarva cougar club members has a car with this swap. The rotors and brake parts are VERY expensive. There are kits out now that allow you to swap on either Explorer or Crown Vic discs onto your current 9-inch axle. Cheaper route and cheaper maintenance.

BTW, I *think* the 9inch rear is the same track, 67-73. And, I'm pretty sure the Versailles rear is slightly wider but will still work in a Cougar.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Jim, just to let you know the track is not the same 67-71. Now I'm trying to remember what the 65-68 mustang and 67-68 cougar track with is but I'm thinking its like 59"

I KNOW that 69-70 Mustang and Cougar is 60" and that 71-73 Mustang and Cougar is 61".

I'm also almost positive that the Versailles is 58 1/2" but its been awhile but I did have one at one time.

The other swap that you mention sounds interesting to me. Maybe the Explorer rotors could be used also. mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yeah, someone detail the explorer rotor swap please?

I looked up the prices for the 87 lincoln rotors and chebby caliper and it'd be just over 300 for the additional parts, plus the $80 for the lokar cable to hook the park brake back up. PLUS the $90 they want for their adapter, so at $470, you may as well just pop 200 more for the SSBC conversion....

Explorer parts = cheap, so someone figure it out and post the solution, I'll be the guinea pig. :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My sister has the Mercury varient and next time she comes over I 'll pull a rear wheel on it and give it a look. mm

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try here for Explorer discs...

http://www.dutchmanms.com/pricesheet.html#Anchor-65125

Ford SVO Explorer Disc Kit: 11" Solid Rotor with parking brake. (5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern). Big bearing with 3/8" holes-new style (BB-SB). (Requires access hole in axle flange) $390

Ford SVO Explorer Disc Kit: 11" Solid Rotor with parking brake. (5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern). Big bearing with 1/2" holes-old style (BB-BB). (Requires access hole in axle flange) $415

The Explorer Kit is by far the cheapest option: Wilwood kits w/park brake go for $615 while Baer kits are $625. However, these kits use 12" rotors.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The only problem I see with this setup is that they list them for big bearing rearends. But then they go and say 3/8" bolts where I always thought that the big bearing rears used 1/2" bolts. I'm so confused!!!mm

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't feel bad Mark...

... i'm getting confused too! lol...

I had no idea the amount of different ways to attempt this swap. Is the only difference between the Explorer dics setup and the aftermarket brands (wilwood, baer, etc) the inch on the rotor? $200 seems a bit steep for a 12" rotor instaed of an 11".

One more thing... I have factory PDB up front right now, is there a larger style rotor that can be bolted up to replace the existing rotor? I wanted to go with a larger disc brake setup in the front regardless of what I do to the rear, any suggestions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts