Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting this on my 68 Cougar and I would like to know if anyone has already installed the same thing? Is it worth it? It is from http://www.rcmotorsportsinc.com/coiloverrear.html. I hear good things from some people but I would like to know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was looking at that same one for my mustang but was worried about my new exhaust fitting it without modifying it. Good thing with that kit no welding.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they offer a kit that is weld in and is about 400 cheaper. Also, if you buy the coil over kit for the front at the same time huge discount on both. I know that I am going with the one in the front. I am almost sure I am going with the rear as well. I want better handling for My CAT. I am not planning on racing but I want it to be better than it is.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I see they make a nice looking 4.6 cross member kit too..? I haven't ever seen thier stuff, hopefully somebody has gone that route, I would be curious too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A buddy of mine let me know about this guys products. He did the cross member for the 4.6 as well as the other suspension products in his 68 Mustang. He said it was well worth it and easy to do.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Not sure how I feel about the crossmember for the two upper link rods. Is there some kind of spacer/gasket kit with instructions on how to reset the third member tolerances. More pinion thrust. Maybe a weld-on K member option for this crossmember, more axle clamps? When I got to this pic,...the wheels really started turning!

rearend crossmember.jpg

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not really sure but those are good questions, which is why I posted this thread to begin with. I would have to call and ask them. I am fairly new to this so I am not really sure exactly what you are talking about. I am really looking for advice and tips on how to improve handling.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with the guy and he reassured me that it does fit the cougar he has installed it on one before. Plus he guarantees it so if it doesn't fit then you can always send it back and get a refund.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The price is right,...you say they offer a weld-in kit? Could not find it in their catalog. Curious to how the weld-in kit addresses the mounting for the upper two link rods. Sure it's just a couple of axle brackets. Except for the upper link rod mounting ,...I like it. Likely you could order the weld-on brackets with the kit, to eliminate the third member issues. Heck of a deal for a 4 link coil over.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A weld on kit will do a better job, bolts won't hold it tight enough. They know that, but WELDING scares OFF lots of folks.

Dale in Indy
100% on that!
Think I would have to tack align, bolt then weld,...with that kit. Would not rely on the bolts only, without bungs or bushings welded through the frame rails at the placement points. Then, being the over engineering type personality that I am,...I would install backing plates!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The price is right,...you say they offer a weld-in kit? Could not find it in their catalog. Curious to how the weld-in kit addresses the mounting for the upper two link rods. Sure it's just a couple of axle brackets. Except for the upper link rod mounting ,...I like it. Likely you could order the weld-on brackets with the kit, to eliminate the third member issues. Heck of a deal for a 4 link coil over.
I agree with the bolts not holding tight enough. The guy told me the same thing about the welding, that it scares a lot of people off. I am going to give him a call and ask him about all of these issues that you all have brought up and I will post back with his answers. I want to make the best decision possible. Who knows maybe it will give someone else on here the answers they are looking for.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you could locate a pic of the weld-in kit,....maybe better, simpler and as you said $400 less. Bolt connections will become loose(drilled holes will wobble out) after a while, from stress against the thin metal that the frame rails are formed from. The bolt- in kit, in theory, would work with a little reinforcement IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the Total Control Products G-Link Coil-Over rear. I haven't run on it yet, but it wasn't hard to install (worst part was getting the goddamn leaf springs off.) and it looks really *****in. DSC01398.JPG

It's sort of half weld in, half bolt in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure how I feel about the crossmember for the two upper link rods. Is there some kind of spacer/gasket kit with instructions on how to reset the third member tolerances. More pinion thrust. Maybe a weld-on K member option for this crossmember, more axle clamps? When I got to this pic,...the wheels really started turning!

View attachment 27691
So I spoke with Willie the owner of the shop and he said there is no need to take apart the rear end you only have to loosen the top three bolts to bolt it in. Also he said the bolt in kit will stand up to 450 HP. when you purchase the weld in version it comes with a different type of crossmember. I hope that answers the question

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the Total Control Products G-Link Coil-Over rear. I haven't run on it yet, but it wasn't hard to install (worst part was getting the goddamn leaf springs off.) and it looks really *****in. View attachment 27704

It's sort of half weld in, half bolt in.
Thanks OC I am Going with the kit let me know how it works for you. I won't be putting it in for a few more months

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been looking over rear end options far a long time now and have considered the TCP gLink to the TCI rear torque arm setup and what I am seeing is the TCI rear torque are setup is much more effective and also cheaper. Has anyone else compared?

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf/TCI_pg01-02.pdf

·
Registered
370 Posts
I take that as a no...?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts