Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I am doing a project for high school to graduate and my topic i chose is to fix up my car and make some nice upgrades. I was thinking that air suspension would be great...if it's compatable. I went to carparts.com and didn't see anything that matched my 68 so i figure just have people leave a post on here on what they've done. ANd if anyone has put the air suspension on their car, how far off the ground does the car drop to and then rise to? ,,,Also i'm thinking of Flowmaster 50 series to be added on also. (good idea?) LMK -thanks

-David

·
Registered
266 Posts
need more detail

are you talking about air shocks?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure?

I'm talking about the kind of shocks or suspension that raise the car. ANd tighten up the suspension. i think they're called air bags? -part of the project is to research it first then do it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
airbags

i'v heard of putting air shocks on the rear only. I'v actually done it myself. the car rode plush. I used 2" extenders so that I could let two inches worth in heighth of air. This made the shocks ride really smooth, and I could take corners with some good speed. When you fill them to their max they ride too stiff. I'v never heard of any type of front end application. I think the use of air bags is usually for extra load capacity. :D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Air Suspension

You may want to pick up a copy of Low Rider magazine. They cater to suspension mods.

My 96 Crown Vic has the 'performance handling and suspension package' and part of that package is the rear air suspension. There are no springs back there -- just a couple of air bags in their place. There is some sort of sensor that determines ride level and a pump fills or empties the air as needed. One bad thing, though. I've seen what happens when something fails. :eek: The car sits on its rear snubbers!

Some street rodders and show cars also use air suspensions to get their cars low but then raise the car to drive it or transport it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so where do i get them?

Hey thanks for the quick responses, now alls i need to know for future reference is how much $$$$$$ we're talking about. I'd love to spend about at most 200 dollars on this part of my project, but say 300 would be ok. How much have people payed before and where can i get a good deal without getting a cheap system. also, thanks for the info on low rider magazine....i suggest everyone go to the website lowrider.com and click the picture....they have really nice car with really nice chicks next to them. later dudes

-David

·
Registered
406 Posts
You're going to need a mastercard and a few days...

Air shocks are just shocks that you fill up with your air compressor, usually to about 25 psi. and leave it there almost all the time. The cheapest air suspension kits [that i believe you're looking for] start at around $700. For the good kits where you press a button and your car pops up in less then a second - that will cost you well over $1,000. Putting it on is a real drag too [no pun intended] You take off all your springs and shocks, and then put the air management system in their place. This is no easy task either being that you have to modify almost everything that goes in place of your stock suspension. Then you have to find a spot for what can only be described as a "very large" air compressor. When you do that you have to run a bunch of lines then wire up all the Solenoid valves. Once all that is done you've got a system that might last a year with heavy use, but then it's going to start to leak and sag to one side [either the left or right or maybe in the front or back of the car] So then you're going to have to replace some stuff for more money. With all these mods your car will barely handle better then before you got started on the whole thing - All when for half the price you could have had a car that could out handle an import. But you will be able to look cool pulling up to school then droping the car to the pavement [while surely dropping the jaws of a few class mates as well :D ] Just letting you know what you're getting into ;) Also most muscle car owners get flowmaster 40 series - the 50 series is mostly used on SUV's - I had 40's on my 70' Cougar and they sounded awesome - Chad

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what you're saying their a good thing?

I realize that everything goes bad after time of hard use. But i only drive my car in the summer and days when it isn't raining. The winters here in michigan would eat my car up with the tons of salt they put on the roads and plus we get so much snow i couldn't drive through it all without getting stuck. I figure the trunk would be the best spot for the air compressor unless the thing is just freakin' huge. i guess the most i'm concerned about would be how long this thing is going to take me and how much ALLLL of the car is going to cost me by the time i'm done. And, you say 40's are a better choice than 50's huh...i'll take that into consideration.

Thanks for da replies,

David

·
Registered
889 Posts
air shocks

i have a 69 XR7 that was in storage for 16 years.what i found on the car was almost what your tring to do.coming off the headers are flowmasters ,then he put a 411 9 inch rearend,with air shocks,air bags and to top it off a set of traction bars.its a nice looking set up.But i think i might take the 411 out for something around 350 good luck with your project dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts