Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my 460/C6 back together and im getting ready to drop it in my 67 GT... i was wondering if anybody knows of any possible problems ill run into? i already have the crites motor mounts ...someone told me that the power steering will get in the way and that you have to relocate the oil filter. ive also heard that you may need a harmonic balancer and a water pump off an early t-bird for clearance???

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use the Crites mounts and used to use their headers. I have never had any problems with power steering clearance and didnt even run that silly P/S drop bracket. I use the FPA shorty headers now, they are better suited to the performance of my current engine combination. Those Crites long tubes were just a little too big and the pitman arm would hit one of the tubes so I couldn't make a sharp left turn. The oil filter was never a problem.
I did cut my shock towers to allow easier access to the plugs and header bolts. I also oved my radiator forward about 2 inches to allow enough room to install my electric fan on the inside as a puller. The 69 T-Bird balancer and water pump will give you a little more room, I am not sure how much though---but it may be enough that you can leave your radiator in it's stock position. I currently use a water pump amd pulley from a truck, and it is definitely longer then the T-Bird stuff.
You may have to shim your transmission mount to lift the transmission to get the correct angle again. The Crites motor mounts raise the motor up a little which will slightly change the angle of your transmission output shaft. See how it drives and if there is no vibration, then you should probly leave it alone. If there is a vibration, that is something to look at after you've checked you U-joints and such.

·
Registered
145 Posts
MPG head service, You know, the guys who make Port Plates have a kit for a 460 in a 67 stang. I'm sure it would work on a cougar. they have some literature they give you when you order the plates

1 - 4 of 4 Posts