Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Ford OEM balancer for my 68 302. It was listed for 65-68 289. Dimensionally it is the same size and everything matches except:
1. The primary hub is thivker on my original.
2. The weight is thicker on the new one.
But the odd thing is that my old balancer weighs more. Both are 28oz balancers though. Should I be concerned about the weight difference (not sure how much but it is noticeable)???

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Balancers

First a little background on what the "28oz", as you say, really means. It's really "28 oz-in" . This means the balancer supplies an offset weight of 28oz per inch of radial distance from the centerline of the crank. So you could have 14oz two inches away, 7 oz four inches away etc...

The 289/302/351s of the early years all used the 28oz-in balancers. There are several types available. Some have wider (thicker) dimensions than others. Some have their pulley offsets further out. Some are 3 hole, 4 hole etc...

The thing to watch out for is a "late" model, circa 80(?), when Ford started balancing the 302s with 50oz-in balancers.

If you truly have a 28oz-in balancer then you're okay...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Re: Balancers

dfwcatsclub said:
First a little background on what the "28oz", as you say, really means. It's really "28 oz-in" . This means the balancer supplies an offset weight of 28oz per inch of radial distance from the centerline of the crank. So you could have 14oz two inches away, 7 oz four inches away etc...

The 289/302/351s of the early years all used the 28oz-in balancers. There are several types available. Some have wider (thicker) dimensions than others. Some have their pulley offsets further out. Some are 3 hole, 4 hole etc...

The thing to watch out for is a "late" model, circa 80(?), when Ford started balancing the 302s with 50oz-in balancers.

If you truly have a 28oz-in balancer then you're okay...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Re: Re: Balancers

swamper said:
I messed up how I did last post. What I wanted to say was: This is good info I've been fussing with SB Fords foer 35 years and didn't know what the weight ment on ballancers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts