Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contorted my bulk to get to look at the handbrake and its not as bad as I thought, most bits seem to still be there, plus a few homemade bits. But when I apply the hand/parking brake she does not lock in, like the rachet is worn, is this the likely problem?

Took her for a spin today, literally, love that car :), anyway there is still play on the steering wheel, about 10 degrees each side now, so Bob, you still got that steering box you had awhile back, guess that is the only thing left that it can be.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yep, still have it. If you want it I will dig it out, weigh it, etc. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You start digging and weighing and I will start saving LOL. So long as you are sure it will fit the 70, let me know price etc, email.
Thanks
Dayle

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Will do. I have an interchange book, but let's ask here:
Will a 69 steering box fit a 70? They are both P/S - I say "YES". Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Guys,

According to the interchange book, the same steering gear assembly will fit 67 - 70 manual steering and 67- 71 power steering. However the gear ratios may be different, all power steering gear boxes should be 16:1, manual steering boxes could be either 16:1 or 19:1. So swaping out 69 P.S. to 70 P.S. should be no problem.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, start digging Bob.
sbbtech, whats the name and no of that book, I think I need one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The interchange book is

1963-1974 Ford Products Interchange Manual

I am pretty sure I bought it from AutoKafters.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thanks sbbtech. Same book, same result. :)

Dayle: I know exactly where it is. I will weigh it tonight. What do you want to do for shipping? Is USPS cheapest?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, US Postal definitely the cheapest, if its up to 5 pounds then the cost is $21.75. Sending e-mail to you.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I will try to get some pics of my parking brake assembly up near the locking mechanism for you. May be a day or two though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts